Little Miracles

Theme Song: "Listen to the Rain" - Evanescence

I momentraily felt blinded by pain as it flashed through my arm and down to my fingertips. I looked up shakily to see concerned eyes staring at me.

Daryl furrowed his brow and was immediately on alert, "Wha's wrong?"

I looked at my upper left arm and noticed part of my shirt was ripped away as if something had torn it. I couldn't get a good look at what was in between the fabric. I bit my lower lip as I started to roll my shirt all the way up my arm.

When I had to shove it up past the wound I made a small noise of discomfort, but continued.

I bit the inside of her cheek as a gaping wound was now staring up at me. It looked as if I had snagged something with my arm. I instantly remembered being pulled away from the gunfire by Calvin and feeling a stinging sensation as my arm had collided with the old shelf.

Could it have been an old screw? A nail? Or the corner of the wood, maybe? I hadn't a clue what had snagged my arm so deeply and tore my shirt, but whatever it was had got my ass good.

Daryl nodded towards the wound, "Lemme see." I quickly shoved the bag to Calvin with my boot, "Eat something, okay? And get some rest. We can take watch for a bit."

Calvin nodded, but looked wearily at my arm before returning his attention to the food. He was a growing boy, he needed to eat. Daryl inspected my wound before reaching in his own bag and grabbing a few things.

We didn't have much. Hell, we didn't even have a real safety kit or anything. We would have to make do with what we had.

I grinned at him, "Doctor Dixon." He rolled his eyes and tried his best to patch me up. He cleaned it as best he could and that was really all anyone could do in our situation, but the notion was appreciated.

And each time his fingertips touched my bare skin, a fire ignited and spread like wildfire along my nerve endings.

He swallowed thickly, as if sensing the building tension between our closeness and backed away against the wall when he was done.

"Need to watch it for a bit." Daryl grumbled. I nodded back and looked down at it. It was cleaner, but it still hurt pretty good. I figured my skin must be really tender there.

Calvin had already gotten into a comfortable position and closed his eyes. I could hear his light snores from where I sat and it made me smile nostalgically. Henry would snore sometimes when they were kids.

Upon closer inspection of Calvin as he slept, I saw a mop of dirty blonde hair and an innocent face. However, he had the chiseled jawline of a kid that had grown up quick. He wasn't much older than Carl, but he certainly wasn't younger.

I looked to Daryl, "Merle is fine."

Daryl raised one of his legs up and drew it close to his chest. The other leg was stretched out lazily. "Ain't what I'm thinkin' 'bout." I rolled my eyes this time, "Liar."

He looked at me with that calculating stare before muttering, "He's baggage. We ain't got 'nough food for us all."

I looked perplexed at Daryl for changing the subject from Merle to Calvin and then shook my head with a fierce whisper.