Living with the Millers

Unwanted.

Unwanted is what I have felt sense my mom died when  I was 8 years old. Unwanted is what I felt when my dad got remarried to Cassy and we had to move to New York.

Depressed.

Depressed is what I felt when I got a call from the New York police department telling me that my dad and Cassy got in a car accident on their way to the supermarket and were pronounced dead at the scene.

Flashback:

I was sitting on my bedroom floor cleaning up the mess that my half-sister stevie made while trying to find her birthday present.

"Liz, Cassy and I are going to the supermarket to pick up something's for later, Behave and watch your sister while we are gone. Love you!"

I mumbled a "Love you too" before I heard the front door shut. It was Stevie's 8th birthday today and I had gotten her a pair of converse for her birthday. Cassy told me not to get them for her because they were too "boyish" and she told me to just get her a dress or something. Its been 8 years. 8 years sense mom died and dad got married to Cassy. 8 years sense I have tried to create a relationship with Cassy, to just be pushed away. 8 years sense my half sister Stevie was born and Cassy showed her the love that I have been looking for sense my mom died and never found.

2 hours had passed sense my dad and Cassy went out for a errand at the supermarket that was about 10 minutes away from the house. Stevie's friends were already starting to show up and I had no idea were they were or what to do. 

Once Stevie had finished opening her presents, I got a phone call and excused myself from the party.

"Elizabeth Johnson?"

"This is her" I said into the phone, not sure who I was talking to.

"This is detective Mark from the New York police department, I'm sorry to inform you but Cassy and Mark Johnson have been in a car accident and were pronounced dead at the scene, I'm really sor..."

After he said the word dead, I blocked out whatever else he was saying. How could they be dead? Was he sure it was my dad? The one who was by my side through all of those years after moms death when I never left my room. The one who would always cheer me up after a day when I missed mom the most. How was I supposed to tell Stevie??

"Miss Johnson, are you there?"

"y-yes"

"Does the name Sarah Miller sound familiar to you?"

"Yes she was a friend of my Mom's. Why?"

"Well, before your mom died, she said that if anything were to happen to your father that Sarah would take you into her care."

"Um, ok, but what about my half-sister Stevie? Where is she supposed to go?"

" She will have to go live with one of here Moms relatives or friends. We will discuss living arrangement with you too tomorrow morning. Ill see you tomorrow morning, Miss. Johnson"

"Bye"

Two minutes after I hung up I sunk to the floor an put my head in my hands. What was I supposed to do? Both of my parents are dead now. And now I have to go live with my moms old friend Sarah who I lost contact with after moms death.

After sitting on the floor for a little while, I heard a knock on the room door and shouted a come in to who ever was on the other side of the door. Stevie walked in and slowly shut the door. She walked over to me and gave me hug, knowing that I needed one.

"What's wrong, why are you sitting in here? Is something wrong? Were are Mom and Dad?"

when I didn't answer she sat down in front of me waiting for  my answer.

Finally, it came out.

"Mom and dad are dead, Stevie"