prologue

IN THE EYES OF OTHERS, she was nothing more than a painted canvas

IN THE EYES OF OTHERS, she was nothing more than a painted canvas. Visually gorgeous. Blonde hair, tanned skin and eyes which could only be described as 'enchanting'. The good looks ran in the Coven genes; it was both a gift and a curse. However in Nadine's opinion, it was mostly the latter.

As soon as she reached the 'appropriate' age for puberty to hit, more and more eyes started turning her way. The importance of her personality grew smaller as the size of her breasts grew bigger. With every head that turned to look at her, Nadine's confidence shrunk.

From an outsiders point of view, Nadine's problem was ridiculous. I mean, why would she be annoyed that people are admiring her beauty ?

But that wasn't the case. They weren't 'admiring her beauty', they were judging her based on her looks. The comments they whispered weren't ones of amazement but more so dirty things that they'd wish to do to her. Yes her, a child. A child who once dared to say "Stop looking at me!" and was only met with laughter and continuous flirting in return.

It was purely dehumanising. Having people, including her fellow students, discuss her beauty as if she was an object on sale and not even bothering to ask her about any hobbies or interests that she might have. Poor thing, never understood that it was the fault of the desperate eyes that lingered on her body, not hers.

So, despite her mother's protests, Nadine did the best thing she could think of. She hid away.

Her usual clothes turned into potato sack style, oversized jumpers and baggy jeans. And her long, blonde waves were replaced with a straight ponytail resting messily on top of her head. No heads turned, and although the clothes weren't exactly the most comfortable ones on Earth Nadine had never felt more free; not even in the expensive silk dresses she used to wear.

Life was finally good. She could finally go to the library and have a normal conversation about books with the librarian without having to hide away from the horny teenagers lurking in the corners.

That was until her younger sister, Dorothy, just about turned ten. The same year that Nadine became a prefect for her Hogwarts house, Ravenclaw. It was then that she noticed that the hungry eyes returned, this time slipping right past her and landing on her sister. "Why are they staring, Diny?" became a regular question tumbling out of Dorothy's mouth.

An employee from Flourish and Blotts once cornered Dot while she was excitedly picking out the books she would need for her first year at Hogwarts. The flirting wasn't major, just a small pickup line including books and a really lame punchline.

But the panicked look in the young girl's eyes, a look so familiar to Nadine, was all it took for the older witch to return home and replace her whole wardrobe once again.

Her hair was let down. Crop tops, tight trousers and miniskirts returned along with the heavy makeup case, which before was comfortably laying somewhere deep under her bed. It felt like getting back into an old, bad habit. One which she was willing to live with.

Because they will look at her. Never at her sister.