i.

Even though a hurricane of chaos was brewing outside the hospital walls, nurses were instructed to be as calm as possible. When these women first arrived, their hair was tightly tied back, hands completely clean of grime, and uniforms unwrinkled. After the soldiers came, in need of aid, wisps of hair fell out of the nurses' buns and onto their faces, their palms unavoidably reeked of alcohol, and their navy uniforms were decorated with fresh blood. But again, despite all the destruction and tragedy that was all around them, it was crucial for nurses to keep their emotions on a low; the hospital was supposed to be a place of healing.

The clanging of medical tools against steel and the yells of the soldiers in pain were not uncommon; the sound resonated throughout the hospital and it rang in the nurses' ears as a reminder of the true horrors that these men have faced.

Beads of sweat ran down Elizabeth Green's temple, evidence of exhaustion, but her smile and reassurance never faded as she bandaged a soldier's head. Even though her heart broke into a million pieces when he'd told her he was 18 and that his mother was waiting for him back home, she took a deep breath and didn't let his words impact her composure.

"I'll be back to check on your wounds," Elizabeth said, stroking his hair gently.

He looked at her with an unreadable expression before smiling weakly and saying, "You promise?"

"I promise." There was a break in her voice that they both heard but she still managed an encouraging smile in return.

"Thank you." And with that, his eyes fluttered shut.

"You're welcome," She whispered before giving him a kiss to his temple and getting up.

"Miss?" Someone spoke up from behind her in a slow, deep accent. Elizabeth furrowed her eyebrows before turning around.

Her breath hitched and her heart fell to her stomach. A tall soldier stood in front of her; a person that she used to know very well. His short brown hair was messy atop his head and his pale skin was stained with red. The apple of his cheeks consisted of bruises and cuts and it appeared he made no effort to close or soothe the wounds. Despite all the swelling on his face, he was still as handsome as ever. His uniform was covered in mud and his boots looked like they hadn't stepped on linoleum in months. Nine year old Beth and Harry would not have seen this coming; ten years later, meeting each other again in a hospital for injured soldiers. They were once children who held wooden toys and flew paper airplanes; now, they were adults, wrapping bandages and firing guns.

The viridescent hue that swirled in his eyes hadn't lost its glimmer; they were still as bright as they were when he was that young boy, tearing up over the harsh reality of being in the war.

"Lie down, please," She blurts out breathlessly, pushing aside the fact that her childhood best friend was in front of her, and frantically motions for him to sit down. He obliges.

"Elizabeth Green, is that you?" He asks after settling onto the sheets.

The girl's voice seemed to be lost, and even though she tried to find it, she still felt like Ariel on dry land. She was breaking a rule by getting distracted and not doing her duty. 

"Forgive me for being so blunt, but I asked you a question, miss," He states nonchalantly after a period of silence, as if he wasn't completely battered up at the moment.

"Yes," She finally responds, "It's nice to see you again, Harry."

"So you remember me," An award winning grin takes form upon his lips and dimples appear in his cheeks. She sees a nine year old Harry in his expression and she can't help but send a smile back.