Chapter Eight - Trapped

[Add the book to your library to get a notification for when each NEW chapter is uploaded, and don't forget to vote!]

   There was blood in the air. The remains of the old witch were floating like there was no gravity. The granddaughter wailed as she watched half of the witch's head twirl in slow motion. Dexen grabbed her when she seemed to have fainted for a mere second, but she pulled herself up after taking shaky breaths.

“Is somebody going to explain?” the girl asked, looking at the two brothers.

“We don't know anything,” Riley told her. “But magic is real and so is evil. My advice would be not to waste too much time trying to reject the truth, because it's much more easier in the long run. There are witches in this world and they posses magic, your grandma was apparently one.”

“I'm actually not surprised,” the girl whispered.

“What do you mean?” Dexen asked.

“Our family is strange,” she replied. “My grandma was the strangest. She would always whisper unusual words under her breath whenever she thought nobody was listening. I thought maybe she knew other languages, because she originally came from Europe and she never talked about it.”

“What's your name?” Dexen said.

“Annetta LeBlanc.”

“It's nice to – wait, LeBlanc? I've heard that name before!” Dexen said. “I used to live with a very big family of witches in Europe. We moved around from country to country, never staying in one place too long. But I met someone there with a name like that. She wasn't very talkative.”

“Well, my family is big. Grandma had seven children and I've never met half of them. My father used to talk about my uncles and aunts all the time. They're all strange, they must be witches as well.”

“She must have been your cousin, but I don't think she was a witch. She never did any kind of magic, but was always there in study sessions. And I never felt any of her power.”

“This is all overwhelming,” Annetta said, smiling a little. “But your friend is right, it's pointless to try to fight it. You can't really deny the facts when they're right in front of you.” She looked back outside as body parts hovered over some trees and quickly looked away.

“My name is Dexen, and this is my brother, Riley.”

“Nice to meet you, Dexen and Riley.”

“We should leave,” Riley said. “If this man was telling the truth when he said monsters, then we really need to find a better place to stay than a broken coffee shop in the middle of the hurricane.”

“I don't know this town as well as you do, so where do you suggest we go?” Dexen asked him.

“We could try the apartment I shared with my sister, but it's a long way.”

“Sounds like a plan.”

They walked outside and quickly made their way down the street, avoiding the massive stream of red water and sticking to the sidewalks. Riley made sure to tell them not to look at the sky, no matter how tempted they were. It was hard, since the sky was pretty much all around them, but Riley knew it was a way to capture people and control them. The sky might as well be their eyes, because everything about it was attracting and alluring.

All that Riley could think about was Seraphina and how she didn't look at them. There was something wrong with her, and if there was something wrong with her . . . then Hart was in danger, too.