chapter 3:

Ebony:

One Month Later

"So whatchu doing for your birthday?" Zaria asked.

This is my first birthday without Evelyn and I honestly didn't know how to feel. We were turning 16 and she's not even here to celebrate it. I remember how we planned to have a big ass all white party and how we were the only ones going to be in color. We planned on having it at this lounge in Atlanta and we would have a limo to take us to our destination. It was all of our imagination though. We didn't have the means to do anything but get a cake. And now shes not here for us to blow the candles out together.

"Nothing, I'm not feeling my birthday." I told her honestly.

"You're turning 16, we bout to cut the fuck up." She said as we walked on thr bus.

"Nah, I'm about to binge watch Netflix movies." I told her.

"This weekend; we gone getchu up out this jacket, finna have your hair straightened, skin showing and allat." She said as we got on the bus.

"You ready for your birthday ma?" Justin asked as we sat down next to him. 

"Its just another day, chill out." I told him.

"You're the first I've ever met who hasn't been happy to turn 16." He said.

"I'm different."

"You are." He said that sent a rush into my insides.

I've been living in Brooklyn for a month now and I pretty much have my crowd of friends. Although they don't really know everything about me they're just right. Justin and I were the closest out of all. Hes met my mother and all. I developed feelings for him but he admitted that hes still talking to his ex but I can't be mad, I'm not his girlfriend nor have I admitted my feelings.

"Cake, Ice cream, weed, and Netflix. Can't go wrong with that." Zaria suggested.

"I can't smoke. That shit be coming out my nose and choking me all at once." I said causing them to laugh.

"Weak sauce," Zaria said, "lets getchu drunk."

"No. I wanna remember everything I do." I told her.

"Hmm, well I'll figure something out for us to do." Zaria said.

***
12:00am

@Reallifezee: its @brwngalebony birthday, its lit🎉

@Reallifezee: its @brwngalebony birthday, its lit🎉 . Eventhough we just met i've never been so close to somebody before. She means the world to me so if anybody got a problem with her they got a problem with me. If yall dont say happy birthday to her, I'm blocking you 🙂. HAPPY BIRTHDAY BABYGIRL👭😜🎉

@theprinceofny: Happy birthday ma🎉🎈

@brwngalebony: Thanks😘

I got on my knees and started praying and thanking God for letting me see another year. I also told him to take care of Evelyn for me. My mom walked in singing the Happy birthday song.

"Your the only thing I have left and you're growing up so fast," My mom said pulling me into a tight hug,"I wish Evelyn was here to celebrate with me but God had other plans."

"Ma, it's been so hard so hard without Evelyn. I can't imagine myself celebrating without her." I said putting my head on my mom's shoulder.

"Now you know Evelyn would want you celebrating for the both of y'all. I want you to go out today and have fun being 16 for both you and Evelyn," She said patting my back,"Well I'm going to sleep. I'll give you your give in the morning."

My phone lit up and Justin was calling.

"Happy birthday ma." He said softly and unethuaiaticly.

"Thanks. You sound upset, everything ok?" I asked.

"I'm just... I don't know. You busy right now?" He said.

"Nah."

"Let me slide through real quick." He said.

"Hell no, it's booty call hours." I replied causing him to suck his teeth.

"Stop playing with me Ebony. You know it aint like that. I just needa vent." He said.

"Alrighty. Text me when you outside." I told him as he shuffled around in the background.

"Aight."