Chapter 8-Family

Pacem was upset with me

Ordinarily I would have ignored it, but she had a ghastly expression on her face that was hard to look past. She wasn't a very trusting girl.

"I've explained to you several times. I wasn't using you. I was simply finding us a home."

I knew they'd never let me through the tunnel of the amphitheatre without something to give them.

I'd tried it before and I'd never seen inside but now- because I had Pacem- it could be our home too.

I did, however, understand why she was feeling slightly impatient. The sun was beginning to set and no one had come for us in hours.

We'd been pushed through the tunnels and abandoned in an empty shack which they obviously used to hold unwanted guests.

"It's a cult, Malvin." Pacem moaned.

She'd been lying on the floor complaining of a headache but she sat up slightly in effort to get her message across.

"So?" I asked.

"So?"

Apparently that was the wrong thing to say.

"Malvin, cults are for weak people who are stupid enough to lose all their money."

"We don't have any money."

"But we have a lot to lose." She raised her tone. "Like our dignity."

A giggle slipped out my mouth.

"Is something funny to you?" she refuted. "Those people out there are strangers. They were going to shoot us!"

Pacem was still whining about the gun they'd held to her head earlier. If I took offense to everyone who held a gun to my head- I'd be grumpy all the time.

"I already knew what would happen, that's why I brought you here in the first place. I had to give them something they wanted."

I saw the look on Pacem's face and immediately fumbled to cure it. "I didn't mean it like that... I needed you. I still need you, Pacem."

"Well then, you need me to tell you to get the hell out of here before those freaks take advantage of you." She shook her head. "I'm out, Malvin."

I carefully placed my hands on my hips.

"And where are you planning to go? Is Dorothy on her way back to the Evil Queen?"

Pacem had a look of guilt on her face and suddenly I understood her eagerness to leave.

"Jake Maxwell is not on your side, Pacem."

"I know." Her cheeks turned a peculiar colour of red. "I just... What do you think Alluna will do to him? He was supposed to bring me back to her."