Cold Blooded

The next day after 8:00pm Candice and I were lazing around our home with the TV on. We both sat quietly leaned back on the couch seemingly lifeless. A crooked cigar rerolled with marijuana drooped from my girlfriend’s lips. Truth be told we were fried.

            Candice didn’t have to work today so we spent the whole time drinking and smoking our lives away. I had a few text messages from Jaclyn that I refused to look at. She’s be acting out lately and it’s starting to get on my nerves. Ever since I stuck dick to Jaclyn, her mind’s been gone. That bitch can’t get enough of me. I knew my dick was good, but damn.

            My phone vibrated again so I finally gave in and flipped it open. It read, ‘Ricky, we need to talk’.

            I sighed and pressed in my response. ‘Talk? Bout what?’

            The second I placed my phone back in my pocket it vibrated again… ‘Really, its like that’? I glanced at the screen seeing another message from Jaclyn that told me, ‘Talk bout us. I feel like you playin’ me.’

            ‘No shit’ was what I wanted to type, but I couldn’t say that. So I replied to her with something humble instead. I said. ‘Ight, I’m here.’ I put the phone back in my phone and rubbed my dry eyes in thought of Jaclyn. That girl’s in love with me, and the sad part was I’m already tired of her. Still, I’m not ready to kick her off the team just yet. So I’ll do what it takes to keep her.

            Candice tapped my arm, breaking my train of thought. She offered me the blunt and I took it without question. While inhaling the smoke, my arms and legs began to feel limp. The heart behind my ribcage pounded harder and faster, yet my perception of the outward world slowed down. That hint of cocaine Candice added to the blunt did it’s job.

            I must have lost track of time because there was a stern knock on the door that appeared to come out of nowhere. The fresh high I had made my reactions and brain waves hesitant. Candice was knocked out, sleeping on my shoulder. Her eyes were barely closed and mouth agape. I forced myself off the couch and went to the door. One could only guess who was there.

            I let out a silent sigh as I swung the door open and saw Jaclyn. Something told me she was going to come over. “What up babe?” I asked, wondering why she’s at my doorstep. When I told her ‘I’m here’ I didn’t mean come over.

            “Hey,” she responded, sounding all depressed. I chose to play along and put up a facade of concern.

            “What’s wrong with you?”  

            Jaclyn sighed, “I feel like you playin’ me Ricky…” she admitted.

            “Playin’ you? What you talkin’ bout?” I shrugged, like I had no idea what was going on.

            “ I mean you said we was a ‘thing’ but you hardly let me come ova’,” she reasoned.

            “Man you know what the deal is. You know Candy be trippin’,” I responded. I told Jaclyn a pretty creative lie like a month ago. I said Candice and I stopped dating each other, but we still had be roommates until our lease was up. I also added that Candice doesn’t like it when people come in and out of the home when she’s there, which was why Jaclyn could only come over when she was gone. Every excuse I told Jaclyn was a lie, but she’s too naive to see that.

            “I know, I know… it’s just. You don’t return my calls, you don’t hit me up like you use too, you…”

            “Whoa, hol’ up,” I interrupted. “I called you last night rememba’? And you aint even pick up the phone.”