The Rehearsal

I decided to call the morning after at 8.

His secretary answered, "Liam King's office, Mrs. Martin speaking. How may I assist you?"

"Hi, I'm calling for the open-spot in the chorus."

"Of course. There will be a rehearsal this morning at 10, will you be able to make it?"

I silently groaned while I bit my lip. I had work from 11 to 7, but I had to make it work. I promised Miranda I'll give it a try. "Yeah, I'll be there."

"Perfect, name please?"

I stuttered a bit. "Um, Elena Reed."

"Alright, Elena." As she said my name, my phone buzzed once. "I just sent you your pass. We'll see you soon."

Once ending the call, I checked the message I received. "Elena Reed, Rehearsal for 'Euphoria'. Auditorium 2- Aria Resort and Casino."

Euphoria. It sounded so familiar.

Aria was a luxurious hotel which consisted of two curved glass and steel highrise towers adjoined at the center.

"What'd they say?" I jumped when Mirandas voice startled me from behind.

"Gah! You scared me, and they just gave me my pass." I handed her my phone, "The first rehearsal is at 10."

Her brows furrowed, "Today?" As Miranda's eyes read the photo, her face lit up in astonishment. "Holy..."

"What?"

She sank to her knees, speechless. "Elena! Euphoria is one of the biggest shows on the strip! This is huge."

I sighed, "Well then, now I'll definitely not get chosen."

She rolled her eyes, "Oh, please. Just let your singing do the talking for you."

"What do I wear? Im so nervous now." I frantically shook my hands.

"Don't be nervous, just be yourself. And whatever you want to wear, it's only a rehearsal."

*

I drank plenty of water before the rehearsal and ate a light breakfast.

Deciding to wear casual clothes, I tossed my work uniform in my purse and headed to the car at 9:30.

Arriving to the hotel, I parked my car near the side entrance and entered from there. It was around 9:50.

I strolled to a desk near the entrance and asked the employees. "Hi, I'm here for the rehearsal for Euphoria."

She nodded so friendly, "Oh yes. Down the hallway and to the forth door on your right, once you enter there'll be another desk there with further instructions."

I thanked her and followed the directions. At the next desk, I needed to check-in and present to them my pass. "Continue the hall until you reach the stairs, go down two levels, and enter from there."

I continued down another corridor which led to the expecting flight of stairs. Once passing the door, I stepped into a backstage with dozens of vanities lined up row by row. The nerves were multiplying by the second.

At the end of all the dressers, there was another flight of stairs, this time going upward.

At this point, I was hoping it was the right direction.

Luckily, it was. There were probably thirty girls on the same stage I was standing on. Many of them were adjusting their physical appearance or making conversation amongst each other.

I glanced past the crowd of girls and nearly choked. Everywhere I turned, there were seats. They were above, beside, below, and ahead.

It was a coliseum. Definitely one of the biggest auditoriums I've ever been in.

The stage I stood on was enormously wide, everything felt so unreal

The stage I stood on was enormously wide, everything felt so unreal. I couldn't believe I even had the opportunity to be here.

A loud voice coming from the backstage walked towards the mob of girls.

"Hello, ladies!" It was a man in his early 50's, he wore a suit and tie and was accompanied by another man.

The other man had to be in his mid 20's, he had a petite figure and a funky sense of style. He wore oddly bright colors with awful prints that didn't mesh well together. He didn't speak, but instead held a tablet in his hand.

The older man made his way in front of the crowd and spoke out. "I'm Jerry Thompson, the producer of this show. Some of you may have heard that I'm a jackass, which is true. I only have one interest and that is it hear some great vocals."

I took a look around at the girls and they all seemed to be showing so much skin. I didn't think skimpiness would play an important role in the rehearsal. Compared to what I'm wearing, I looked like a grandma.

"Everyone spread out," He beckoned everyone to stand shoulder to shoulder, then turned to the other man, "Let's start weeding some girls out shall we?"

Without thought, everyone scrambled to obey the order.

Once it was still, Jerry begun to go down the row starting from the other end.

The younger man with the tablet hollered to us, "Everyone take out your pass and hold it out, facing us."

"Hit a note." Jerry commanded to the first girl.

She sang flatly, and by his face he was not impressed. "Definitely not what I want. Goodbye."

As he waved her off, the other man crossed off the name in his tablet.

Jerry went from girl-to-girl making many smug remarks such as: 'You call that vocals?' 'Horrendous.' 'Absolute worst.' 'Leave now and don't turn back.'

By the time he got to the girl beside me, there had only been six girls out of twenty five that got chosen.

Jerry discarded the girl to my right, and stepped in front of me staring intensely into my eyes. "Sing." He demanded acidly.

I drew in a short breath and started low. My voice smoothly began to rise high, following the sweet, piping notes of a flute.

A soft silence fell over both men, they seemed to be slightly more enthralled by the melody sang by such a slender throat like mine.

As my voice gently came to a mute, Jerry pursed his lips, unsure of what to say. He cleared his throat and commented, "Well that wasn't awful."

Once Jerry finished with everyone, there were only eight girls on stage. Including me.

Everything felt so surreal, I couldn't believe what was happening.

"Alright ladies, let's practice some exercises." Jerry's assistant announced as he stepped to us.

From the corner of my eye, I noticed a silhouette walk into the seats from ahead. I froze when I realized who it was-- Diana Pierce.