Chapter 2

When I was 7 years old I remember my father had many friends. Whenever we had parties on Holidays he would invite them. Most of them were young and very attractive even for a 7 year old me. One year we were celebrating New years and our house was packed with people. I sat in my bedroom upstairs eating potato chips and drinking apple cider. I was all alone since I did not feel like socializing with anyone. My door was shut along with my lights. My window was open wide as I gazed outside looking for fireworks. I heard a knock on my door and I turned to see a man there. He had black hair and a white shirt. He wore black jeans and brown boots. "Oh sorry!" He said. He stared at me for a long time before shaking his head as if clearing himself from a trance. "I thought this was the bathroom. What are you doing?" He asked me. "Looking for fireworks." I said smiling. He smirked. "You could come outside you know." I shook my head. "That's okay. I prefer my room." he nodded his head. "Can I join you then?" I debated the thought in my head. I could accept this tall, strong stranger into my room at risk of being weird and scaring him off. Or I could deny this stranger and spend New years alone...again. "Sure." I said shrugging. He walked into the room and took a seat on my bed beside me. It sunk down as soon as he took a seat. I suddenly felt extremely uncomfortable. My arms rested against my window and I glanced at the man. "You can come look too." He smiled and I noticed he had teeth like a bunny. It was cute. He came up closer to me and together we gazed out the window. "Sometimes I like to imagine the stars are little white angels that watch me." I said softly. Gosh darn it I already did it."Really?" The man said. I nodded my head. "Well, when I was your age I thought the moon was this huge block of cheese and I told everyone in my town that one day I would go into space and eat the entire thing." I giggled. "You're weird." He scoffed. "I'm weird? I'm not the one who was going to spend their New years alone in the dark." I blushed. "Quiet. Mom says I'm unique."

"So that's what crazy means now huh?" I scowled. "Relax..I'm just joking." The man said."I'm glad I don't scare you." He said.

"Why would you scare me?" I asked facing him.

"It's a secret." he said winking at me. "Can you tell me?" I asked. He shook his head. "I think you're nice." I said reassuring him. "Annoying..but nice." He laughed. "I get that a lot. The annoying part. Not nice. I do bad things sometimes." I gave him a puzzled look. "Bad things?" He nodded his head. "What kind of bad things?"

"I can't tell you."

"Is it because of your secret?" He nodded his head. "Well," I said turning my body to face him completely. "Everyone does bad things. But that doesn't mean they have to define you. Try not to let the bad overcome the good parts of you."

"What if there isn't any good left?" His voice cracked slightly as his watery eyes stared passionately in mine. I outstretched my hand and let it touch the man's heart. His body felt cold until we touched. Then I felt a warmth spread through us. "There is good. I can feel it." I felt his heart speed up along with mine yet we never broke eye contact.

"10!"I heard faintly from outside.

I moved my hand down to his stomach.

"9!"

His breathing along with mine picked up.

"8!"

He leaned in closer to me.

"7!"

His lips touched my ear.

"6!"

"We are going to miss the fireworks."

"5!"

We averted our eyes to my window as we stared out into the sky.

"4!"