eight.

[CHAPTER EIGHT]
sliced

[CHAPTER EIGHT]sliced

~

As soon as Minho's body disappeared through the Flat Trans, Thomas began hearding the others after him. No one objected, for they were all eager to get through the shimmering wall of gray before time ran out. No one wanted to risk being left behind. Though they were eager, each Glader hesitated before he stepped through the Flat Trans, and Thomas simply patted them on the back to encourage them to go through.

After a couple minutes, only Aris, Newt, Eleanor, and Thomas were left in the room. It was silent for a moment as the four of them debated who should go next. Suddenly, Thomas let out a choked cough, and Eleanor turned to see the boy staring at Aris with wide eyes.

"Hurry," he muttered before Eleanor had a chance to question what was going on. "We've gotta hurry."

Aris stepped thorugh without hesitation, and then it was only Newt, Eleanor, and Thomas left. Newt turned to the girl, gently pushing her towards the Flat Trans.

"Go on, hurry," he told her in a rushed voice. "I'll be right behind ya."

Eleanor didn't argue before she stepped up in front of the Flat Trans. She gazed at the shimmering wall of gray, her eyes watering a bit as she did so. Her heart hammered nervously against her chest, but she forced herself to talk a step into the wall, and then another. A line of coldness traveled down her body as she was sucked into the Flat Trans, as if she had just stepped underneath a icy cold shower, and her fingertips tingled slightly. Almos as soon as it began, however, it stopped, and Eleanor was surrounded by darkness. She heard voices coming from ahead of her, and she recognized a few as familiar boys.

Eleanor stumbled forward as someone ran into her back, steadying herself with a huff only moments afterwards. Newt mumbled a quiet apology from behind her, though she could barely hear it over the sound of someone crying out in pain.

"Everyone be still and shut up!" This was Minho that spoke. His voice sounded far away, but it came from somewhere ahead of her. "Thomas, was that you? Are you in here?"

Eleanor heard shuffling behind her, followed closely by Thomas's voice. "Yes! I was the last one to  come through. Did everyone make it?"

"We were about to line up and count off till you came stumbling through like a doped-up bull," Minho responded, and Eleanor could imagine the Runner rolling his eyes in the darkness. "Let's start now. One!"

At first, no one said anything, until Eleanor heard Thomas call out, "Two!"

Each of the Gladers counted off until Aris went last and called out, "Twenty."