Chapter Twelve: Prima Donna

The doors were opened. Back into the grand chamber, all flowers were brought in. Presents of all kind were swarming through the door like a delightful wave. Flowers, paintings, boxes holding secret gifts and luscious desserts of all natures. Spared no expense.

"Prima Donna first lady of the stage!" Lumier announced as he made his way towards Grimhilde, who was sat at her dressing table. Swiftly taking her hand, he placed a tender kiss on her knuckles. He was grovelling, considerably.

Grimhilde watched Lumier and quickly scoffed while snatching her hand away. Looking back into the mirror in front of her, her two maidens and Couturier set to work.

"Your devotees are on their knees to implore you!" Cogsworth grovelled too, as he stood beside Grimhilde.

Behind the leading soprano was her husband who was admiring all the flowers and gifts. His particular favourite was a painting of his dear wife dressed as Elissa in 'Hannibal' which Grimhilde was to perform before Elsa Winter took her place.

"Can you bow out when they're shouting your name?" Lumier asked as he watched the vision of a woman continue to regard herself in the mirror. One of the handmaidens passed Lumier a tray full of scalps, which he swiftly grasped. Showing them to Grimhilde, hoping she would be pleased. No. She sneered at the present like it was a plate of slugs.

"Think of how they all adore you!" It was Cogsworth turn to provide a present. Cogsworth's was something much sweeter. Chocolates. Even the delicious chocolates did not tempt Grimhilde. Like before, she ridiculed at the gift.

"Primadonna, enchant us once again!" Both men spoke as they showed yet another gift. The wrapping entranced Grimhilde. Surrounded by a beautiful wreath that was filled with her favourite flowers, was a delicate pink heart-shaped box. Inside, however, was not so pleasant. Not for Grimhilde. Pastries of different and delicious colours were presented. All looked extraordinary to eat, but Grimhilde was not aroused.

"Think of your muse," Lumier stated as he smiled at the woman sat before him. He waited for the maiden to obtain another provision that would, hopefully, gratify Grimhilde.

"And of the queues round the theatre!" Cogsworth added hastily as he presented Grimhilde with a brown faux hand muff, which, surprisingly, delighted Grimhilde. She grasped the gift lovingly and gently, pulling it close to her. Cogsworth let a small breath of relief.

Lumier presented a fancy hat that she immediately gestured to disregard. Grimhilde returned to admiring the hand muff again, while all gathered around her.

"Can you deny us the triumph in store?" Both managers questioned as they both watched a smiling Grimhilde.

Lumier now presented a small rectangular box for Grimhilde. Opening the dainty box, it revealed a necklace of diamonds and to match were a pair of diamond earrings. She gasped in amazement of the gift. Diamonds are a girl's best friend after all.

Her husband came forth with a gift too. This gift grabbed her attention automatically. A Brown Poodle with a pink bow around its neck. She gasped the pooch quickly and kissed her husband lovingly.

"Sing, prima donna, once more!" Her husband now spoke as he admired his beautiful wife. Grimhilde, noticing her husband stare, gave a small smile towards her husband.

In the far corner stood the Vicomte, who was not aware of anything going on around him. Thoughts bombarded through his mind, occupying him from observing his surroundings.

"Elsa spoke of an Angel," Hans whispered to himself, as he commenced to make his way out of the chamber. The Vicomte was not captivated by his surroundings like the others. He had other matters to attend, more urgent affairs.