Chapter Eleven: Class Group B

Emma was awake long before any of the alarm clocks went off. Having her brain hard wired to wake up at half past five every morning didn't seem like such a chore anymore, knowing that her day would start officially at seven from now on. Taking a quick trip down into the trunk, still in her pyjamas and carrying the clock this time, she was fast in making her rounds for the morning feeding, even if some of the dragons weren't awake yet.

When she climbed out of the trunk, she was still the only one awake. It was just coming to quarter past six, so she changed into her uniform (very proudly tying her new tie) and began to pack her bag. The satchel itself wasn't large, in fact it appeared fairly small, too small for use as a school bag. But making things small on the outside bigger on the inside was a speciality of Andrew Walsh's, so Emma's books easily fit into the magically expanded space, leaving enough room for John to curl up beside them. She would just have to keep an eye on it to make sure she wasn't carrying around a smoking bag.

Before long, alarms began going off, the sound rattling off the walls and shaking the moaning occupants awake. She definitely heard a thump of someone rolling off the bed. Making sure that the trunk was locked and secure under her bed, she drew back the curtain and almost choked in order to mask her laugh. The girl that had the bed opposite her had her compact curls rolled up in little curlers and she looked like she had been flung across from her bed. This was visible as one of the twins had drawn back all of the other curtains. They must know each other. Lucky them. They were all only now getting into their uniform, so Emma left them to it and left the bedroom.

The common room was almost empty when she arrived in it, her bag hanging off her shoulder and robes in her arms. One drake-like boy was sitting propped up on one of the arm chairs, his nose buried in a book. She scooted around him to the door as carefully as possible, desperate not to draw his attention. It seemed that fate had other ideas.

"Walsh!" His voice alone was enough to make Emma sneer at this point. "What are you doing up? Not used to sleeping anywhere but a grubby old hovel? Is the cleanliness making you uncomfortable?" She turned to him and smiled.

"Even if it was, I wouldn't have to worry about it. With filth like you around, that cleanliness will be gone in no time." He glowered at her, but had no time to argue as she slipped out of the door and began her trek to the main hall.

The corridor was brighter than it had been last night, the grey stone and black floor less foreboding. The morning outside was grey and bleak, but whatever light was present seemed to be reflecting off the clouds and the water, making it much brighter even without the sun in full view. A few of the paintings rattled against the wall as a wind swept down the corridor, paired with a hysterical cackle. That poltergeist, Vix, must be trying to cause havoc again. The halls themselves seemed pretty empty. It was only seven o'clock now, so most of the students were probably still in bed or getting ready. They did have an hour and forty-five minutes, it wasn't like they couldn't waste a few.

Making it to the main hall, having only taken two wrong turns, Emma felt an odd sense of accomplishment. The tables were void of life except for maybe three students and the almost full table of teachers already sipping on tea and munching toast. She didn't tend to eat breakfast all that often, so she plucked an apple from one of the bowls and poured herself a mug of hot chocolate and sat happily munching and sipping, sneaking a few pieces of soda and bacon to Marmalade in her bag, which he happily accepted. She made a point of watching the door to see the other students coming in.

Most were groggy looking and had apparently just rolled out of bed, some still in their pyjamas and only grabbing coffee before leaving again. Some, however, were more like her, and had actually dressed and prepared themselves before arriving down for breakfast. Emma caught sight of a curly mop of brown hair in a messy uniform and with glasses askew stumble into the hall looking disoriented. Riona still managed to make it to her table however, and proceeded to help herself to a bowl of cereal. Deciding to go and talk to the girl, Emma grabbed her bag and robes again and made her way to sit by the exhausted looking Aurumstrix.