The Hunter's Game

Choices

                                                  The Hunter's Game

Years have passed since the end of the Cordova Organization that night. Carly and I three years later moved out from Germany to the United States. We’ve been living in the United States for about a few months. I changed my last name to Zodcoff because my real last name is well known for being in the mob.

Carly and I bought a small apartment house in New York City, as we’re in engaged. I work in the city as a cop and Carly has a job working for the New York Times newspaper company.

The New York Times made an article about Mitchell Montez being put away in prison in Chicago. The LA Police department busted him during a shipment in Los Angeles, California which the judge of the city sentenced him for life in prison in Chicago because for his mob crimes over the years.

It seems the mob wars I was involved in were finally over. No more pain or suffering anymore I was finally happy. It seemed like I had everything; a beautiful woman I would soon be married to, a place to live, I accomplished the American dream.

I awoke with my annoying alarm clock blazing away for me to get up for duty. I turn over slowly turning it off and for a moment I take a deep breath trying to get up.

I look over behind me glancing at Carly lying next to me. I go over and kiss her on her head as she opens her eyes and stares. She smiles as I get up getting dressed gathering what I need for work.

Carly turns over to stretch “Come back to bed I don’t want you to go to work today” she said. I turn around with a smile walking up toward her bedside as I kissed her “I would love to but I have to go” I replied.

I went downstairs to the kitchen to go eat a bowl of cereal as usual. The apartment wasn’t as small as the one I started out in Germany a couple of years ago.

The walls weren’t worn down nor there weren’t any leaking pipes. It was a comfortable atmosphere living in a small suburb not too far from the city that never sleeps. After I was finished with my bowl of cereal I placed it in the sink, went over to grab my coat from the chair, and went outside to my car to go to work.

I took my car to go to work to head toward the NYPD Police station. I soon arrived at the station going through the front entrance walking up to where my desk was on the second floor as people there said hi to me.

It was a normal day sitting at the desk I was typing a report on my computer about a man who got his license provoked because of drunk driving through the highways going over a hundred mph. As I was typing I thought “what a freakin idiot this guy is going speed racing through the highway under the influence.

It amazes me how some people have their driver’s license.” My fingers were going at it on the computer keyboard as detective Jimmy Davis came up to my desk. “Zodcoff, you have mail, this is for you” said Davis placing an envelope on my desk.

“Thanks Jimmy” I told him as I picked up the envelope on my desk. Davis walks away from my desk going back to work as I started opening the envelope. When I opened it there was a picture that showed me at the coffee shop back in Germany with Carly when I shot the shop owner dead. The picture showed me pointing the gun at him when the shop owner was on the floor begging me mercy.

I was bewildered as then there was another picture inside the envelope. The other picture was a close up shot of the coffee shop owner that I killed. The picture showed the shop owner dead on the floor showing the bullet wound in his head I gave him.