halloween slip up

7 months earlier
10-31
junior year

"I told you this before, Mark. I must suffer for my art!"

"If you say so..."

At the moment I was hanging upside down by my legs on the monkey bars of an old playground that nobody really came to anymore. Meanwhile Mark was standing in front of me as I held my Polaroid camera, trying to get a good picture.

"I hope you know that if you fall and die, your parents are going to beat my ass."

"Nah, my mom likes you!"

"Yeah but your dad doesn't."

"Hm. Good point. Now shut up! I've almost got it..."

Mark just rolled his eyes at my shenanigans.

"You are the most pretentious person I have ever met."

"Rude...I'm not saying you're wrong but damn. Okay...strike a pose mister model man!"

Mark struck a goofy pose right as the wind blew in his face and I took the photo. Then it popped out the top. I pulled it out, holding it out for him to grab. He took it, looking at it before showing it to me as we both started laughing. He was holding up a peace sign and puckering his lips and sticking his hip out while the wind blew in his hair and face.

"Beautiful! A true work of art!"

"Oh shut up...you're right but shut up."

"Well, time to come back down to earth now."

I handed him the camera before I grabbed the bars and flipped over, landing on my feet. Then he handed me my stuff back as we started to walk back to his house.

"So, you wanna crash at my place and get some serious sugar highs for Halloween?"

"You know me well. It sounds like a plan."

When we got to his house, his brother was watching tv while his mom was in the kitchen.

"Hi Amy, are you staying over tonight?"

"Yep."

"Great. Then you two can pass out the halloween candy."

Mark rolled his eyes as I laughed. She came over, handing him the bucket full of candy.

"Kids should start coming around 6."

I just smirked at him as his mom walked out of the room and upstairs.

"What're you smirking about? You have to help too."

"True, but it is well worth the look on your face when she said that."

I just kept laughing as he pouted, but we eventually just went outside to pass out the candy. And since his neighborhood wasn't all that busy, we talked for most of that time, just shooting the shit. But then all the sudden I got a text on my phone.

Signe: where are you? I've been waiting for 2 hours???

"Oh shit."

"What?"

"I totally forgot I told Signe I'd watch movies with her tonight!"

"Damn, is she mad?"

"Probably. Dude, do you...?"

"No, go. I'll drive you over if you want."

"No, you keep passing out candy. Anyways I think it would sting more, don't you think?"

"Good point. Well, start running little lady!"

"Screw you! I'm almost as tall as you anyways!"

Then I started running off, turning my head and waving while yelling back it him.

"Bye!"

I saw him wave before I turned back around and kept running.

~~~
7:00

I was short of breath as I walked up to her door, knocking a little louder than I would've liked. After hearing footsteps running downstairs, she opened the door with a less then please look.

"Where were you?"

Her tone caught me off guard. She didn't seem mad at all...but really sad.

"I'm sorry, really. I just got caught up with everything and halloween antics...I'm really sorry."

"I get it. Just let me know next time you get side tracked, ok?"

"Definitely. I'm so sorry..."

"It's fine. Just get your butt in here. Ferris Bueller isn't going to watch itself."

I chuckled a little as she put her arm over my shoulders, pulling me into the house and closing the door behind her.

"Love you...!"

"Shut up, dork."