Every Risk Worth Taking

"Who cut Sapphire's forlock?" Asked Noel, the owner of Chestnut Farm. 

"I think Mariah did." Sherly, the fourteen year old stable hand replied. 

"Mariah?" 

"She helps on Saturdays." Sherly said. 

"I swear that mare is going to be used in shows even if her forlock is too short! Just because she is thirty don't mean she isn't able to be ridden!" Stormed away Noel, walking angrily to Sapphire's stall. The old chestnut quarter horse mare lied on the ground, she was lame and underweight from not eatting. 

The other horses moved around in the wooden straight stalls, the wood worn away and cracked, the bucket hooks rusted, buckets dentes and dirty, the stalls filled with not enough hay bedding, the dirt floor not even, and the tack room with it's broken and taped window. This was Chestnut Farms now. Back then it was beautiful and glorious, known for it's great horses, english and western lessons, grand barn, and unguided forest trail ride. Twenty years later, it's been wanted for animal cruelty because the owner has her horses umable to walk, some starve themselves, and shes very mean to children who do free help there.

"Mariah!" Sherly yelled into her phone, 

"Sherly?" 

"Noel knows you cut Sapphire's mane!" 

"But Sapphire's mane and forlock where disgusting! Even if it's too short a mare in her condition needs to be retired!" Mariah yelled back. 

"Yeah but I've never done that to Little Boy!" Sherly defended, talking abiut her favorite horse, a huge skrewbald paint gelding. 

"Sapphire was my first mount and my favorite. The other horses here are in terrible condition, I will do everything I can at every risk there is! Lacey or Dolly should own the barn, at least they have the money to fix it up!" Mariah said, hanging up in anger. The barn was were she loved, but the owner treated no horse right, she worked them until they died.

Mariah walked down the stairs into the kitchen, telling her everything that just hapened. 

"Honey, if Noel wants our money, she won't yell at you. You know Carly's mom, Mrs. Freeman?" Her mom asked. 

"Yeah."  

"She said Noel is wanted for animal cruelty and they want her out of the horse buisness and the trainers to own the barn!"  

"Really?" 

"Yep, but you better run on over to Dover and pick up some supplies you'll need to help these horses. Heres $100 from your college savings, I exspect change and you to pay it back because college ain't cheap, and this is one of the very few Dovers in the USA. You know the Lexington one is the only one for miles, unless you wanna go up to Jersey, Rhode Island, Massachusets, and New Hampshire!" Her mom said, sending Mariah off to go to Dover Saddlery.