-ten-

Welcome to the Tombs

"You seem angry." Carl looked up and saw Chloe standing at his cell door. He was packing up all of his things, like he had been told to do. He didn't reply and began tossing his things into his bag. "Are you really that mad at him?" She asked.

Carl sighed and turned to face her. "He lied to us about Michonne, and now he just wants to run away," He replied.

The young girl tilted her head, her arms folded across her chest. "You know that's not the plan though, right?" She said. "It's just in case we need to run. Rick doesn't actually plan on leaving here anytime soon."

"He won't let me fight," Carl said.

"Neither will my mom."

"That's different." Carl was growing more agitated by the minute.

"Really? How so?" Chloe asked.

"Because I'm not weak!" He suddenly yelled. Chloe looked at him with wide eyes, her hands falling to her sides. Carl realized what he'd said, and quickly tried to apologize. "I didn't mean—"

"Save it," Chloe snapped at him. "I'll see you at the cars."

Carl cursed under his breath and turned back to his things. The only thing he really cared about, the only picture of his mom, his dad, and himself left. They all looked so happy in the picture. He had it in case Judith ever wanted to know what her mom had looked like. He also had it to remind himself everyday of what his mom had said to him.

"Don't let the world spoil you."

And he wouldn't.

Carl placed the picture delicately in his bag, along with the rest of his things. Then, his and went to his father's old sheriff's badge. Carl stared at it for a moment and ran his thumb across it before sticking it in his pocket.

He got to his feet and slung his duffel bag across his shoulder, walking out of his cell and making his way out toward the courtyard where the cars were being loaded.

Everyone was packing and loading their things. It was like they weren't even planning on coming back. Carl knew that wasn't true, if everything went according to plan today, then they would be back at the prison soon enough.

But if it didn't...

Carl walked passed his father as he went to go put his things in the trunk of the Subaru. Rick grabbed his son's arm. "Carl—" But Carl yanked his arm away in anger and his father didn't try to stop him.

He helped Beth load his things into the back of the car. Rick walked over to Glenn. "I've never see him this angry," He said. "Even with Lori... just completely shut down."

Rick sighed and looked at his friend. "He's just a kid," he said. "Sometimes that's easy to forget."

Liz spotted Maggie, whom she'd been meaning to speak to lately. She walked over to the young woman and smiled. "Maggie, can I talk to you?" She asked.

"Yeah, of course." Maggie nodded. "Is everything okay?"

"Yeah, everything's fine, I just needed to ask you a favor," Liz replied.

"All right."

Liz took a deep breath. "It's just, ever since Merle... I've been thinking a lot about this plan, things could go wrong." She paused a moment. "If–If something were to happen to me today—"