45➼

Tory's POV

I sat in the waiting room next to Imani. The vibe is very weird and awkward.

"H-How are you?"

"How do you think I'm doing, Tory?"

I nodded my head and hugged her, she didn't hug back.

"I want to apologize. For everything..."

"Wow. Daystar Peterson is apologizing?! He finally set his ego aside." She said coldly.

I sighed. "Yes, and I mean it."

"Mm."

"That's it?"

"Tory I'm not worried about you right now. I wonder who did this to Jamal! Jamal out of all people? Wrong place at the wrong time? I just don't understand."

I held Imani. "We'll find out and whoever did this shit gonna catch heat."

She sighed and buried her face in my neck.

End of Tory's POV

9:57 P.M

"Miss Yates?" The Doctor asked.

I looked up. Everyone was tired and ready to go home. Tory and Lexie were asleep and Travis and Armani's eyes were heavy including mine.

"Your friend would like to see you."

I wrinkled my face in confusion. "Me?"

"Yup!" He chirped.

I got up and stumbled into Jamal's room.

"Hey!" He croaked.

"Hey. You alright?"

"A nigga straight." He chuckled. "I heard my mom was acting a fool."

"Yeah. Of course she was! You had everyone scared. Do you know who did this to you?"

Jamal's POV

I feel like I know exactly who shot at me. He has the nerve to come out here and check on me as if he didn't do anything, comforting everyone. I'm not gonna snitch him out but I know exactly what I'm going to do. I would never lie to Imani so I'll just tell her half of the truth.

"I wish I knew for sure. It was pretty dark and I could barley see."

"Knew for sure? Who do you think it is? Why were you even up there?!"

"I took the train to go see my Grandma Mani. It's not like I didn't have any business up there."

She sighed. "I guess."

"Imani."

"Hm?"

She's clearly upset.

"I'm sorry, I didn't mean to make you worry or bring all this at such a bad time."

"Don't be sorry! Nothing is your fault. You've been by my side ever since you asked me to lunch and I just want to let you know that I appreciate you. You could've died without ever hearing me say thank you so I'm letting you know now and I'll remind you every single day."

His eyes sparkled and he looked away.

"Jamal..."

He took a deep breath. "Got me out here shedding tears."

"Don't cry." I giggled.

He wiped his tears with the back of his hand and pulled himself together.

"I know that I'll never be Tory or Travis or any of those niggas at school but I hope I'm enough for you. I don't want you to settle for less."

"Don't say that Jamal! Why don't you think you're enough?! You're more than enough."

"I just...I don't know..." He sat up.

"You can say it. I'm the only one here."

Jamal sighed. "I've just always been the last choice you know? The backup, and excuse me if I sound like a lil bitch but you're the only person that has treated me like an actual person. Like I have thoughts and feelings. I was afraid you were going to judge me when we first started talking. People told me about you and I thought we'd get along since we're both kinda outcasts. Who would've known you'd be by my side when I'm at my worst? The seat my mom's supposed to be in.."

I quickly realized how Jamal are I are the exact same.

"Wow. I never knew that, that was you. I always saw you as the one that didn't fuck with people period. I thought you were a bit arrogant when we first started talking but I know the real you and I really like the real Jamal. What's not to love? Tory could never reach you."

He smiled. "Imani...I...fuck...I love you girl. I don't give a fuck if you don't feel the same way or if you're not comfortable with saying it back which is okay but I do love you and I always will no matter what happens. You could stab me in the chest and my last words would be I love you."

"Damn...that's...extreme. Sounds like you looking for a wife but of course I feel the same way. No doubt."

"Then I need to hear you say it."

"I love you Jamal."

He hugged me and winced holding his chest.

"I'm lucky to be alive."