The Jacket-One Shot

"There he is," Tina Belcher thought to herself as she slowly walked through a crowd of people in the hallway. Jimmy Jr. was rummaging through his messy locker as she grew closer to him. She could feel sweat forming on her hands and a lump growing in her throat. However, Jimmy Jr. did not notice Tina walking toward him.

"Uh, good afternoon, Jimmy Jr!" Tina stared at the boy with wide eyes hoping for a reply, but he appeared to be occupied.

"J-Jimmy Jr?" She muttered.

"Oh hey, Tina." Jimmy Jr. glanced at Tina for a second before returning to his locker. When Tina heard him say her name a smile appeared on her lips, but was unsatisfied with the lack of attention.

"What are you looking for? School work? A book? Y-You can use mine!"

"No." Jimmy Jr. closed his locker frustrated. "I think Zeke took my hoodie. I've looked everywhere for it and it's gone! He has to have it. It's cold out and-"

"You can use my coat!" Tina quickly suggested.

"No, Tina. You'll get cold. I'll just have to fight Zeke for mine."

A small blush grew on Tina's face when he seemed to worry about her. She hoped that today could turn out like one of her self-written stories that she writes in her free time.

"I mean, we walk home together anyway. It wouldn't be a big de-"

"Well, I'm going to go find Zeke. I'll see you later, Tina." Jimmy Jr. cut Tina off and began to walk away. Tina was always happy in Jimmy Jr's presence, but he had a habit of rejecting her.

*

Jimmy Jr. followed the crowd that was flooding out the front doors of the school. He had his eye out for one thing-- a purple hoodie. He jumped off the last step leading from the school to get a better look and there it was: His hoodie on the back of someone else, wandering down the street.

"Hey!" He yelled, taking off after it. By the time he caught up to Zeke, he was out of breath. He put a hand on Zeke's shoulder, stopping him.

"Heya, J-Ju!" Zeke greeted.

"When did you get my jacket?" Jimmy Jr. asked, flustered. "It's gonna smell like you now."

"And you're actin' like that's a bad thing." Zeke winked, causing Jimmy Jr. to look away. "Ya left it at my house yesterday. I was just gonna give it to ya but it's just so damn cold and this thing's nice 'n toasty. Sorry."

Jimmy Jr. sighed. "It's fine. I've already worked up a sweat chasing you so I guess you can keep it for now."

Zeke grinned and threw an arm around Jimmy Jr.'s shoulders, pulling him down to give his head a scratch. "Thanks, J-Ju. Always lookin' after me!"

Jimmy Jr. shivered a little, but Zeke's warmth made him feel better. Instead of going back inside to find the rest of their friends to walk home with, Zeke and Jimmy Jr. continued to move forward.

As they walked, Zeke's arm remained around Jimmy Jr. It was comforting to the slightly taller boy. Jimmy Jr.'s face grew hot, but he assumed it was because of the cold weather that surrounded the two of them.

"Is the cold getting to ya?" Zeke asked, noticing Jimmy Jr.'s change in attitude.

"No. No, of course not. I can take it." Jimmy Jr. shook his head.

"Yes! You can take it! You're a man!" Zeke laughed loudly. His laugh was contagious because Jimmy Jr. began to laugh along with him.

Jimmy Pesto's was not far down the street from the school so the two boys didn't have a long walk before they decided to part ways.