Secure

The precinct was dull in comparison to the cabin, and the food was certainly more bland and tasteless, but it was an incredible improvement from being isolated from the rest of the world. Iceland had despised the cabin, what with Sweden and Finland breathing sympathies down his neck at all hours of the day. Yes, he grieved that now he had lost Norway in addition to Denmark, but moping about a house in the middle of nowhere wouldn't help get his brother back.

He had lost Norway once, and was not going to let history repeat itself.

The only comfort Iceland could find in the situation was that he knew that now Norway and Denmark would be together, or at least be held by the same people. He hoped and prayed that if they found one, the other would be nearby. He knew it was only a hope in all honesty, but he wanted to believe that Denmark and Norway would find each other. Then perhaps no police force would be necessary to break them out. Iceland knew that if the two came into contact that they would no longer be captives. They could break out together. At least, that's the story Iceland's hope provided.

Hong Kong had been more irksome to Iceland than he'd previously presumed, though Iceland appreciated his friend's attempts to provide cheerfulness and liveliness to his life. It was for this reason that Hong Kong was left behind when the police went to search for more clues in the area where Norway had been caught, and it was for this reason that Hong Kong had silently moved back to the cabin and returned home with China the next day.

In fact, Iceland himself was nearly withheld from visiting the site.

Jeff knocked on the door to the small living space of the precinct in which Iceland spent most of his time. Whether it was reading or writing or staring at a painting, Iceland remained unreachable unless addressed with information regarding the case, preferring to stay in the same room as he had when Norway was still among their numbers. "May I come in?" Jeff asked, tentatively opening the door and poking his head around the doorframe.

"Sure," replied the teenager, with the hormonal angst that affected even personifications of nations as they grew older filling his tone.

Nodding, Jeff stepped inside, shutting the door behind him. "Ice, the area where your brother was kidnapped has been swept and searched for any sign of identification—the most that was found was his blood and a few sprays of unregistered people on the street." The officer sat down on the same old, tattered couch that Iceland sat on, the cushions old and used, but perfectly softened to a point of utmost comfort. "We're visiting the scene for ourselves, today. Jones and the rest of the precinct don't think you should go along, but I believe you might catch something we'd look over, some sign you and Norway share written on a wall, or a... a sense of some sorts."

Iceland remained unresponsive, staring off at the opposite wall and fiddling with a small piece of paper in his hands.

"That is, if you're comfortable going. If you want to stay here, then be my guest, enjoy the coffee machine." The room fell into a state of quietness, though not silence. Iceland's bouncing knee tapped a rapid beat that kept the room from absolute silence as he thought over his options.

"I'll go," the boy said softly, a whisper of consent that barely brushed Jeff's ear.

Leaning in, the police officer asked Iceland to repeat himself.

"I'll go," Iceland said again, snapping the words out with a sudden volume that exceeded expectations.

Jeff nodded, smiling at Iceland. "You're a brave kid." With that, Jeff extended his hand to Iceland, which the Personification took, and they shook hands quietly, their eye contact complete and unyielding. "By the way, where's that friend of yours?"