The Unexpected (Alyssa and Dennise)

Epilogue

A city girl named Dennise Lazaro and a provincial lass named Alyssa Valdez met for the very first time in San Juan Arena. The former is a team captain of the CSA and the latter a team captain of UST. Both were 16 years old battling for the crown of the ongoing volleyball tournament.

They were facing each other on the different side of the court. Both were breathing heavily, CSA is at match point, whistle blew and the ball went flying. Kim Fajardo, UST setter received the ball and set it to Valdez who leap and sent back the ball and scored.

14-14 was the score and it was Alyssa's turn to serve. She eyed her opponents and pick a target. Whistle blew, ball went flying straight into Dennise. She managed to saved it but her teammates weren't ready for the second touch. Ball hit the floor, crowd goes wild, UST won the championship.

After the awarding wherein Alyssa was crowned as the finals MVP, Dennise approached her.

Dennise: "Congratulations on winning." (Extends her hand for a handshake)

Alyssa: "Salamat." (Beams and reached for Dennise hand)

It was later that year when the two met the second time. Both were busy looking for their names at the ACET passers bulletin.

Alyssa was beaming when she saw her name. She turned around and came face to face with Dennise.

Dennise: "You passed?"

Alyssa: "Oo."

Dennise: "What course are you taking?"

Alyssa: "AB in Psychology. Ikaw?"

Dennise: "BS Biology. I guess I'll see you around."

Alyssa: "Yeah."

CHAPTER I

Freshmen orientation. People were milling inside the hall, Alyssa gingerly walked, hesitation was noted in every stride that she took. The girl was obviously shy as she looked around for any familiar faces.

Dennise was watching her from afar. She nudged the girl sitting beside her.

Ella: "What?"

Dennise: "See that tall girl over there? The one with the yellow shirt and a ponytail?"

Ella: (Scans the crowd) "Uh yeah, what about her?"

Dennise: "Why don't we befriend her?"

Ella: "Oh-kay."

The girls approached Alyssa, when she saw them. She gave them her most charismatic smile.

Alyssa: "Hi."

Dennise: "Waddup?"

Ella: "Hi, I'm Ella and you are?"

Alyssa: "I'm Alyssa."

Ella: "Well, why don't you join us?"

After the introductions was made, the three girls sat beside each other and met other freshies like Amy Ahomiro and Bea Tan. They instantly became fast friends and became inseparable.

It was during the first semester when Dennise asked the rest of the girls if they wanted to try out for the women's volleyball team, all agreed.

All five of them went to the Blue Eagles Gym and signed up. It was a week long tryout. Everyday after school the girls went to the try-outs and showed their skills.

Coach Roger: "Pagka Sabado, ipo-post na namin kung sino-sino pumasa at kung anong posisyon ang nakuha."

SATURDAY