What House?

If you're using an OC in your fanfiction, I'm sure you would've had to think about what house you wanted to put them in. Well, I'm here to help make that process a little easier for you by stating the pros and cons of each house and some advice.

When choosing the house for your OC, you may instantly be drawn to putting them into the house you're in. However, this is often not a good idea unless their traits match up. There's nothing the audience hates more than an OC being put in the wrong house, and it's an instant put-off.

My advice is try and put yourself in the shoes of your OC, and take the Pottermore test. When doing so, refrain from putting in the answer you would put, and do what your OC would do, incorporating the good traits and bad traits of him or her. If you're disappointed with the house your OC got, then it's up to you to go ahead and change the personality traits of your OC and retake the test.

Another instant house choice is Gryffindor. This would be the most obvious choice to make as this is the house that the marauders are in. I'll be going through the pros and cons of putting your OC in Gryffindor now!

Pros of Gryffindor:

•This is the house of the marauders. They would be closest to them and would be able to spend the most time with them here. Because of this, their friendship would be more realistic.

•They would sit together and have lessons together.

•It's just easier to write in general.

Cons of Gryffindor:

•Some say it is cliché and unoriginal.

•It may be more interesting to hear about another house and it's common room that we're less familiar with.

•It could help you avoid what I like to call 'house confusion' where a marauder OC fits a house that's not Gryffindor, yet is put in Gryffindor simply because the marauders are in it.

Considering these pros and cons would be a very helpful step for all of you struggling or looking in to finding a house right for your OC. If you feel like the pros out weigh the cons, go right ahead and place them in Gryffindor. However if you'd like to stir things up a bit, put them in a different house.

If you're considering putting your OC in a house that's not Gryffindor, good job for making an effort to be original! Though, here are some things to consider and be wary of:

•How will they become friends with the marauders (if they will become friends in the future)? Simply having your OC meet them on the train will probably not be long enough for them to bond and stay friends for a long time.

•Are you willing to do the research for that house? Do you know what the common room looks like? Do you know the canon characters in the house at the time?

•How will you deal with the issue of house rivalry? Even though Voldemort hasn't fully come to power yet and there isn't really the issue of Slytherin being 'evil' as they're 'the house of Voldemort and Death Eaters', house rivalry still existed and may even get in the way of some friendships.

•Don't be that person who makes their OC sneak into the Gryffindor common room to the marauders. If your OC does that, they may as well just have been in Gryffindor in the first place. If they're going to be in a different house, give them some pride. Remember, the sorting hat takes the character's opinion into account.

That's all I've got house-wise for now, and I really hope it helped you all! If you think you've got anything to add to the chapter that you think will help others, feel free to comment down below and I'll add it straight in! Also, if there is a specific topic you'd like me to discuss, don't hesitate to ask me in the comments. I'll definitely answer your question or make a chapter on it to help you out.

~Rolayde~