Sixteen

When I returned home that same night, I didn't bother turning on the lights

When I returned home that same night, I didn't bother turning on the lights. Instead, I headed straight to the kitchen, a route I had memorised for years. Opening the fridge, I grabbed the milk and drank straight from the carton. But although I was physically doing things, I was mentally elsewhere.

Flo.

I liked how we didn't have to kiss to establish our relationship and how words were more powerful between us. It was refreshing.

Placing the milk where I had got it, I closed the fridge; the small yellow light that illuminated from inside slowly disappeared until I was facing complete and utter darkness. Navigating my way through the house was pretty challenging from then on. Once I left the kitchen, I had to grope the walls to find my way to the stairs, just because I was too lazy to flick a light switch.

It was difficult, but with some struggle, I managed to climb the stairs. But before I went to my room, I checked if everyone was okay. It was something I did almost unconsciously before going to bed, especially when my mum died and dad was going through a rough time.

Everyone seemed to be in their corresponding bedrooms though. Except for Jace, who wasn't usually home at that hour anyways and Tess, which was odd because it was way past midnight when I got home and her shift should have ended ages ago.

But when I gently nudged my door opened, I saw her there, sitting in the middle of my room with her sloppy ponytail and oversized shirt, looking tired as she played a game of solitaire with the deck of cards from my drawer. She looked up and smiled meekly.

"Hey," she said.

"Hey," I answered. "Are you okay?"

"Nightmare."

I half closed the door and dropped next to her, grabbing her in one of those awkward floor hugs where your legs are in the way and you have to stretch so it's kind of uncomfortable. But Tess didn't seem to mind as she wrapped her arms back around me and buried her face on my shoulder.

"You smell like your Tripper Decker Monster special," she mumbled. Then added, "And sex."

"Tess." I shook my head, but I was smiling. "No."

"But I'm guessing it went well with Flo?" she asked and I could almost hear her grin.

"It did."

"So there's a Floden?" She leaned back at looked at me seriously. "Because if you didn't seize the opportunity with that amazing girl next door I'm going to have to punch you."

I placed my hands up in surrender. "Easy. Wouldn't want to hurt part of Floden now, would you?"

"No way," she said, eyes widening.

I just smiled.

Then she pushed me and went 'Holden, you're a beast' and fell onto the floor in a crumpled heap of emotions. I laughed at her overdramatic reaction and joined her on the carpet, crossing my arms behind my head and looking up at the ceiling.