The Second Night: A Different Kind of Strength

April 23, 2009

Akihiko Sanada's POV

Another day, another fight. My heart was pumping just at the thought of another day full of training. After the last huge Shadow that attacked the dorm, I was injured to the point that I wasn't able to fight with the new crew. But now that I'm feeling much better and am almost completely healed, I wanted to satisfy my hunger for training in the ring. I ran my fingers through my short, silver hair as I left my dorm room, hoping that Junpei hadn't eaten all of the good stuff in the kitchen. A boxer needs all of the strength he can get in order to fight after all. But as I arrived to the second floor, I noticed a familiar dirtied scarf and girl sleeping at the table, her art supplies strewn all ovre the place. I covered my mouth to stop myself from demanding why she was here. I began to question it in my mind,' M-Momiji?! What the hell?! W-Wait, if she's here, then that means-' Yukari appeared next to me, and looked up at me with a frown," It turns out she's staying here too... Minato told me yesterday." I looked to the classmate I met less than twenty-four hours ago," So... She has the potential. She doesn't seem like the kind of girl though." Yukari spoke in a hushed tone," The Chairman said that we should wait a little longer to see how it goes. In the mean time, try to be friends with her? She's really sweet." I nodded, watching as Yukari approached her. She knelt down, placing a hand on her arm gently and shaking her," Senpai? Senpai, it's time to wake up now!"

Momiji Sakakibara's POV

I awoke to someone shaking me softly, and I reluctantly opened my eyes to see Yukari, the girl that I had met yesterday who's Junpei's and Mintao's classmate, looking at me with a soft frown," You know, I think your bed would've been more comfortable. Were you up all night working on another painting?" I nodded, rubbing my eyes as I yawned, looking down at the portrait. I frowned, noticing that it wasn't finished. I was painting an old match I got to watch back in the other school: it was the two boxing champions, going at it with all their might. The boy with long, black hair tied in a ponytail was uppercutting the blonde boy, finishing the fight that lasted for more than two hours. "Another boxing match?" Yukari asked with her head to the side, but she noticed my frown," What's wrong? Are you not happy with it?" I shook my head, snatching up my phone and answering," I stayed up all night and its still not finished... And I'm all out of red paint."  She frowned a little more before sitting back up, helping me stand as my back was hurting a lot from my uncomfortable position," Really? Well, that's no good." She smiled brightly," I know, why don't we go out after school to buy you some more supplies?" I wanted to accept her proposal right away, but I recalled something and apologized," Sorry... I have work today. I only have to work a few hours today though, so I'll be off by six if you still want to hang out." Yukari smiled with understanding and nodded, "That's actually perfect; I have archery club after school. Want me to meet you at the office?" I nodded, and the two of us shared a one-sided laugh.

I noticed a familiar, silver-haired boy watching us from the staircase. Fixing my scarf, I approached him and bowed," Good morning Sanada-san. Did you sleep well?" Although hesitantly, he gave me nod," Are you sure you're going to be okay? I bet you're sore from sleeping here." I scratched the back of my head with a shy smile,"I'm actually used to sleeping like this. Besides, I can't complain. I bet you're super sore at the end of the day with being the captain of the boxing team and all. Junpei-kun and Minato-kun told me that you work really hard; I hope you're taking good care of yourself."  His thumb brushed against the bandage on his eyebrow with a small smirk," Ah, so they did tell you. Well, there's nothing like being in the ring, so it's all worth it. You said you were a boxer back at your other high school. I bet you were good." My cheeks flared red and I avoided his gaze," I was the only girl in the school that was on the boxing team, so a lot of people used to pick fights with me. Of course, they regretted it; not a lot of people had experience on the team." Yukari joined our conversation, her voice filled with surprise," I can't see you being a boxer, but it sounds like you were amazing! I wish I could've seen a match or two!" My blush became darker as I began fidgeting. "In any case, we should get ready for class," Akihiko said, sending another smirk down my way," We'll talk more about the ring later; how's that sound?" I blinked once before nodding twice," O-Okay! Thank you very much!"