Chapter 2 - Diagon Alley

Alice looked forward to her trip to Diagon alley. Who wouldn’t? “How are we going to get there if you don’t know how to drive?” She asked. Derrick smiled. “We’ll apparate!” He announced, “Hold my arm, and don’t let go.” Alice thought this sounded a bit like flying. She grabbed his arm tightly. “Whenever you’re ready, it can be rather… suffocating,” He said. Alice gulped. “I’m ready,” she said. Suddenly, the world became black. She was being pushed from all directions and couldn’t breathe, her eyeballs were being pushed back into her skull and her eardrums hurt. Just when she thought she was going to suffocate, it was all over.

Alice drew in a deep breath. “Oh god, I don’t think I like apparating,” she breathed. Derrick chuckled. “It’ll be fun, once you get used to it,” He said. Alice shook her head. “That’s unbelievable,” she muttered.

They were in a pub of some sort and there were witches and wizards eating or drinking. “Derrick! My good man! How have you been!” said a cheery wizard who patted him on the back. “Sorry Arthur, Ministry business, got to get moving! Taking Alice here to Diagon Alley, she’s muggle born you see,” He said, patting Alice on the back. Arthur grinned. “Welcome to the wizarding world Alice!” He said. They moved on. “So! Alice, I’ve got your letter! It’s got the school list supplies on it,” He said, handing Alice the letter. She read it and smiled.

They arrived at a brick wall. Alice groaned. “Oh, do we apparate again?” She groaned. Derrick shook his head. “Three here… two there...” He murmured and tapped the brick wall three times. Suddenly, the bricks started moving. The brick he had last touched wriggled and quivered – a small whole appeared which grew wider as bricks shifted out of the way. Seconds later, it revealed an archway onto a cobbled street, full of shops and stores.

“Welcome,” said Derrick, grinning broadly, “To Diagon Alley.” There were colourful items in shop windows, things like colour changing ink, Brass cauldrons, and Self stirring ones too. There was a lady outside the Apothecary, announcing “Unicorn horns! Get them now! Only 14 galleons! They’re MAD!”

Alice wished she had 20 more eyes. She turned her head in every direction as she walked. “You’ll be able to see everything soon, after we get your school supplies first,” Said Derrick, beaming at the amazement and wonder on Alice’s face as they walked past the stores.

“So, we get a wand!” She said enthusiastically. Derrick smiled. “Not until we get everything else, the uniform can be found at Madam Malkin’s dress robes for all occasions, but, err, they’re rather expensive you see, you’re muggle born and don’t have any galleons, sickles or knuts… but you can borrow mine of course,” he added hesitantly. “We can go to Twilfit and Tatting’s, or the second hand robe store, those are cheaper,” She said, pointing at the directory.  Derrick smiled. “Always so humble, but no, that’s in the south side of Diagon Alley, it’s a dodgy place, if you ask me, better to stick here,” He said. Alice nodded and followed him into Madame Malkin’s.

Madam Malkin was a squat, cheery witch dressed in mauve robes. She took a look at her list. “It’s Alice isn’t it?” She asked. Alice nodded. She smiled. “You go to Hogwarts don’t you? Harry here goes to there too,” She said, with a tone of pride in her voice. Derrick looked over Alice and Madam Malkin for a glimpse of the famous Harry Potter. She looked rather crestfallen and disappointed when Alice showed no sign of excitement. “Harry Potter, the Harry potter,” she said. Alice figured Harry Potter was some kind of young wizarding celebrity. “Err, I’m muggle born,” she said. “Oh, well that’s quite alright, Harry Potter defeated the famous dark wizard, he who must not be named twice!” She said.

Alice took a seat on the wooden stool as Madam Malkin measured her. “Arm up!” she said. Alice obeyed. Alice looked over to the place where Madame Malkin nudged. Harry Potter was being fitted by a witch in bright blue robes. He had jet black hair, bright green eyes, glasses and a lighting shaped scar on his forehead.