Thirty-Four

T H I R T Y - F O U R

✦✧ CHANCE's POINT OF VIEW ✦✧

I had never been so scared shit-less in my entire life. But don't tell anyone I admitted that...

Luckily, no one could tell either as I entered the monstrous building that everyone knows as, 'M.O Headquarters'. But I like to called it the 'Dragon's Lair': A.K.A My father's lair.

That's right. I just compared my dad to a dragon. Why? Because he is as terrifying as a dragon — or probably more. Especially if you're on his bad side, like me.

Why was I, his own son, on his bad side? Well you see, because I'm the very person who would be taking over his life's work one day, which apparently gave him the perfect reason to scrutinise my every move and control every aspect of my life.

Which was exactly why I was scared shitless, and also another reason why I hated his guts.

Anyway, as I walked towards his mighty office at the very top floor, I clenched my jaw in hopes that it would somehow ease my jolting heart. I hated showing emotions, especially fear. As I learnt in boxing, I didn't want anyone to know my weaknesses, because then that would be giving them the key to knocking me down.

Before my fists could knock on the fancy door, it swung open by Mr Roger, my father's personal assistant. He looked at me with a crooked smile that seemed anything but genuine. I swear, there's something eerie about this old man...

"Afternoon Mr Montes," Mr Rogers greeted me in his usual gruffy voice, motioning his hands towards the rest of the room. "Please, do come in."

"Okay." I muttered rudely, walking into the room. What? He annoys me.

Besides, I had more than enough reasons to think he's some sort of undercover villain, or the villian's tacky sidekick. Firstly, he took my sister's precious and priceless necklace. Why didn't he give it to my father when he found it? He's been working for my father for three years now, he should know very well what that necklace is and how important it is to my entire family.

Why was it so important to my family? Well you see, this necklace goes way back — I'm talking hundreds of years back — on my mother's side. It's been handed down to the first daughter for many generations. Thus, why my sister now owned it. My mum cherished it so much that she once almost lost her life for it.

I slumped myself onto the sofa in front of my father's unnecessarily gigantic desk that didn't even really have anything on it. I propped my feet onto the table, crossing one over the other.

"Don't make yourself too comfortable." My father warned in his usual dominant voice, not glancing up even for a second from his paperwork. It was a complete contrast to when Riley came here with me. Then, he sounded like a complete different person. Even almost cool. Almost.

I rolled my eyes. "Nice to see you too, Dad."

"I wouldn't use sarcasm either if I were you. Your choice of words will determine whether you are ready to come home or not."

And what if I didn't want to? I had a great urge to challenge him, but I would be lying anyway. I did want to come home. I missed my ferari, my private hot pool and all my other stuff that was part of my luxurious life. I mean, that's half the reason why I studied so hard — for the moment I'd be able to return home, and I could invite the boys over too. However, the only person that would be missing was Riley.