Chapter Twelve

"So, how'd it go yesterday? Did you kiss and make up?" Claire's voice rang through the other side of the phone. 

"No, Claire," I sighed. "But I think thing's are going to get better between the two of us from now on, which is a good thing." 

Things had gone pretty well yesterday at the shelter, to my surprise. I hadn't expected to be on good terms with Jase so quickly, but I knew we still had a long way to go before we could call ourselves a 'couple'. We had exchanged numbers though, which was another step closer to what we were supposed to be. Now we could try and make plans instead of hoping to bump into each other around the town. 

"So you two are taking things slow? That's such a boring approach, Candy. Just jump straight in the deep end and hope for the best! And by the deep end I mean his pants, of course." Claire had turned into a crazy sex addict since her and her soul mate had first done the deed. It seemed to be the main thing that occupied her mind nowadays, which I admit did annoy me a little.

"Claire, sex isn't the answer to every problem," I groaned, before putting the phone down beside me and placing it on loudspeaker.

I picked up one of my granite pencils then, and flipped to the page I had been working on for the last few days.

"It's the answer to all my problems!" she exclaimed. We talked for a little while longer before hanging up a few minutes later.

I loved Claire, but sometimes she just got too much and it was hard to put up with her. She was crazy and outgoing, whereas I was the complete opposite. Our differing personalities didn't always see eye to eye, and this meant we seemed to get tired of each other rather quickly. It wasn't too bad though, both personalities ended up showing on in the other person anyway. Sometimes Claire liked to be alone and quiet, and sometimes I enjoyed being a bit loud and crazy. She was my best friend, well really my only friend, so I had gotten used to her crazy outbursts and overall crazy personality. It's what made her, her, and although she was overwhelming sometimes, she was still a good person.

I had almost finished the drawing now, even though I had been in a complete daydream most of the time. I didn't even know the pencil had been still moving, until now. The drawing was of a boy, but I couldn't tell who the boy was. All of his features were familiar to me, but the person wasn't. I realised then that I had mixed Jase and Ryan together into one person, and drawn it. I ripped the page out of the book, tossing it into the mountain of crumbled papers by my wardrobe. 

There was a small knock on the door then, before my mother walked in. 

"Sweetie, I need to ask you something," she said as she sat down on the edge of my bed. Her tone worried me a little; she rarely ever asked much of me. 

"Sure, Mum. What is it?" I put my pencil down, spinning in my chair to face her. 

"Is Jase coming to the wedding tomorrow?" The words seemed to tumble out of her mouth before she could stop herself, as if she was afraid to ask.

I knew they were all worried about me, seeing as I hadn't brought him home or spoken much about him. I had been asked every day at least three times about Jase since we first met, and well I hadn't really had much to tell them. I hardly knew Jase; sometimes I would even wonder if his name was actually what he first said it was.  

"You know we're all dying to meet him, and tomorrow would be perfect for us to meet him!" She smiled, finally looking up at me.

"I haven't mentioned it to him, but I can ask him and see if he wants to come. He might be busy tho-"

"Oh, that would be wonderful!" She grinned, jumping up from the bed in what seemed to be a rush of excitement. I knew my mother was dying to meet him; I was her baby girl after all. It wouldn't hurt to ask him, would it? After last night, there might actually be a chance that he will come. As my mother left, I grabbed my phone and began typing a message.