Part 5: Ways of the Pack

After catching the fish - almost the same size as the little treefox - Thalas carried both it and Mist close to the treefox village, sliding among the trees almost as gracefully as in the water.

"Will you be alright from here on out?" he asked as he ruffled Mist's hair gently. "I should get back while I still can."

"I'll be fine! Thanks for the help!"

Mist stayed still for a moment, watching Thalas slither away, before with considerable effort dragging his treasure up to the trees before something on the ground would steal it from him. Once inside the village the going was easier, with the walkways made of branches and vines tied together.

"Mother!" he called out cheerfully as he pushed the fish inside their family den. "Look what I caught-"

He was met by two synchronized growls.

"Uh..."

"Go look after your little sibling," an adult male Mist faintly remembered told him. "Your mother and I want to be together right now."

His mother gave him a gentle smile. "Thank you for the fish, Mist. You're a good provider."

Feeling a little conflicted, Mist retreated away from the den and tracked down Cloud, his sibling of 4 years old.

"Hey, Mist," Cloud said with a sad smile. "Did father kick you out too?"

"Yeah..."

"I wanted to see him so much...And he doesn't want to see me."

Mist gently nuzzled the younger treefox. "I'm sure he does. He was like this last time he came to visit too. You know, when they made you. Now they'll make a new cub and then they'll have time for us again."

Cloud slowly nodded.

"I know! I'll tell you a story about the sentient races of the great forest!"

"Aww...I've heard that so many times already!"

Mist leaned closer. "But I know a secret nobody else does. There's really four races, not just three."

Now Cloud was curious. "Really?"

"Uh huh."

By the time Mist had told Cloud everything about Thalas and they had agreed to keep it just their secret, both their stomachs were growling loudly. Mist kind of wanted to get his fish from the den, but their parents wouldn't like additional interruptions.

"You two sound like a pack of wolves defending their territory," another young treefox commented good-naturedly as he sat down next to them. "Didn't you find any food today, Mist?"

"Oh, hello, Prickle." Mist gave him a smile. "I did, a really, really big fish, but mother and father kept it."

"Hmm-m, the mating season. Here you go," he handed a big, hard-shelled fruit to Mist and opened another one for Cloud. "I took some young cubs to eat a little outside the village not long ago. Nobody fell or got lost."

Prickle was the same age as Mist, but he didn't have a younger sibling of his own. That cub had died within days of his birth. So Prickle had taken the same responsibility with the little cubs without elder siblings. He was a really kind-hearted one, and Mist thought he'd make a great mother.

Eventually the adults started leaving their dens too, and the life in the village resumed as normal - just a little livelier than usual with more people.

Cloud was really happy to get to know his father at least a little, but it was Mist who got most attention. The diet of treefoxes in the village consisted mostly of plants, but his father started teaching him how to hunt small critters too. And how to find safe sleeping spots and water outside their established territory. And what different scent markings meant.

Of course Mist was ecstatic to learn all this and even more so to spend time with his father. Nonetheless, he never neglected to meet Thalas every morning and tell him everything.

The changes started with Prickle growing increasingly agitated. And there was soft fur appearing on his arms and torso and...well, all over him. And then one day he was just...gone.

Then other two of Mist's agemates disappeared too, the twins Leaf and Moss. Again none of the adults seemed to pay any attention to it, although normally a lost cub was a cause of great concern.

"What is going on? Where has everybody gone?!" Mist cornered his parents and demanded to know.

"They've grown up," his father answered calmly. "You don't need to worry. Their fathers have left the village with them to help them get started on their new lives."

Mist didn't know what to say.

"It will happen to all of your age within the next few moons. Two of every three cubs will become male and leave. One will became female and stay. That way the village doesn't grow too big."

"So...me too..."

The adult male leaned closer and inhaled deeply. "Yes. It's already starting. I can't tell which one you'll be yet, but you are definitely reaching adulthood." He caressed Mist's cheek. "Don't be afraid. I will have to leave soon, but I will definitely come to get you if you mature into a male. You won't have to live completely alone."

Mist just nodded slowly.