Chapter 1: First Encounter

John's POV

I felt a hand land on my shoulder. I turned around to see it was Hunter. I groaned looked forward.

"Look it's just for a night, don't be scared." He told me in a soothing voice.

"I'm not fucking scared!" I shouted at him. I pushed his hand away. "And don't touch me!" I shouted. He put his hands up and backed away. His friends laughed at him and I walked forward into the forest. I followed the narrow path untill the laughter was out of hearing rang. "God I hate those guys." I groaned to myself. I walked carefully down the path as night quickly advanced. That's when I started to feel fear.

"Damn. I didn't think it get this dark so quickly." I checked my phone to see it was only 8:30. I just walked quickly forward. 'Okay. Okay. John relax this is your time to explore and study.' I thought to myself. The air began to drop in temperature and I began to shake. I should had brought that damn jacket and wore pants. I suddenly heard rustling and froze. My heart began to pick up speed. I took a step back and watched for a minute. It stopped and I continued. I shouldn't go any further, but I had to. My curiosity got the best of me. I had to find something they can't just close off the forest and not have anything cool in it! My curiosity didn't stop my fear. "Why do I have to be that white person in the horror movie." I groaned. I stopped at a clearing. I looked up to see the moon was a strange color.

"T-that's weird. It's like a pinkish red." I mumbled out. I heard rustling again and stopped looking up. I looked down toward the sound. I saw it was a bush. I froze on the spot. There is no wind here. What is moving that bush? 'Don't be so judgemental maybe it's harmless.' After a few more minutes a deer jumped out. 'See John it's harmless.' I mentally relaxed untill the deer got dragged into the bushes. I took a deep breath and slowly took a step back. What ever it is it doesn't look happy. It looked like a bear, but I knew better then that. I stepped on a twig and it snapped in the quiet clearing. It looked up face bloodied. My eyes widened. Okay maybe it won't attack. Once it jumped forward I knew it wanted to attack.

"Oh sugar honey ice tea!" I screamed as I turned around and sprinted. My feet pounded in the ground and made loud smashing sounds. My feet were burning and I was out of breath. I looked behind me to see he was at least twenty feet behind me. I thanked god that I got a head start untill I looked forward to see the ending of my path resulted to dropping at least eight feet. I tried to stop and ended up skitting off of it falling forward. The drop was only half of what I thought. I landed on stomach as my head hit the hard ground. My vision blurred for a moment untill I think survival instinct kicked in and I tried to crawl forward. Something slammed onto my ankle and leg. I let out a loud yelp. All my survival instinct was gone as the pain settled in instead. I curled in the fetal position. I then heard loud growling. It was more puppy like I looked up to see a group of Salawa, or Set Animals. Not much is know about them other then they are usually peaceful. The key word usually. I tried to kick at the trap to get free all it resulted in was more pain and bleeding. When I looked up I saw the werewolf. It was standing on it's hind legs which was very common. They were also human before and can very well turn into humans again. Our eyes made contact. My eyes were almost pleading for help. I then saw something flash in his eyes. It looked like pity or maybe mercy. He suddenly jumped down in front of me, defending me from the Salawa. A few yelped out of fear and ran off. They were probably omegas. In most canine groups they have three ranks Alpha, Beta, and Omega. A common mistake is people think there is only on Alpha and the rest are Betas and Omegas, but in reality most packs have multiple Alphas. Some packs have the same amount of Alphas as Omegas and Betas combined. It all depends on rank. Now usually there is one main Alpha leader, but some share a platform. How do they run with so many of them? I don't know. My thoughts were broken has I heard the growling and barking of the fox like creatures. The werewolf let out a howl and scared all, but one off. I would have laughed at the sight of a tiny dog going against huge dog had my life not been on the line. The Salawa wagged is forked tail along as it tried to circle the werewolf. I watched in Awe as this tiny thing tried to out smart a werewolf. Though it still stood it's ground and glared at the Salawa. It didn't feel the need to move or growl. He wasn't scared. He didn't need to be. It just stood proud and tall, eying the creature. I wish I brought my camera. I could have filmed it all and studied it. My phone wouldn't have enough memory to film this whole thing. The creature then jumped trying to aim for it's throat. The werewolf simply knocked it over with it's paw. It tumbled to the ground and got up. It snarled and tried to attack again. This time the werewolf jumped pinning the Salawa to the ground. It began to panic and thrashed about. It's ears went down showing submission. The werewolf growled baring it's teeth and I saw salvia dripping down.

"Wait! Don't hurt him!" I shouted as I sat up. The werewolf looked shocked. Then with slow movement of him lifting his paw the Salawa ran off. The werewolf glared at me before advancing toward me. My eyes widened. Was he not trying to save me? Was he just making sure his prey wasn't scraps? I backed up a bit trying get as far away as possible. I pulled my leg a little to hard and I let out a yelp. I felt the teeth of the trap scrap my leg, cause it to go deeper and more bleeding. The werewolf froze for a second before continuing to advance. This time he didn't like like he was stalking prey it looked like he was curious. Once he got close enough I was shaking. I was face to face with a werewolf who five minutes ago wanted me dead and maybe still does. It eyed the trap. Be sniffed it cautiously. I began to notice it had dirty blondish fur. When it turned to look at me I noticed it had hazel eyes. He looked more human then wolf. It didn't look like the creatures in the books with raggy unkept fur and fierce soulless red eyes. It actually looked clean and wasn't caked with dirt. "I knew it." I whispered. It heard me and tilted it's head. I reached my hand to touch it and it backed up. It growled warningly and I dropped my hand. I looked down feeling a little disappointed. I watched as he looked around the trap again. It found a lever of some sort and pushed it down with it's teeth. I pulled my foot out quickly fearing it would snap back. It let go and it did as I thought. I rubbed my leg and it stung horribly. My hand was covered in blood after I pulled it away. It came over and sniffed it. It suddenly licked the wound. I gasped. "W-what are you doing?" Once it pulled away it looked like it was done with everything. I saw my bleeding had stopped. "Oh..Thank you." I replied. It rolled it's eyes and began to walk off. I pulled my bag on my lap and began to rummage through it. I saw him suddenly stand up and growl. He stopped once he saw I was pulling out bandages.