Chapter seventeen

As he ran, multiple thoughts swarmed in his mind.

What if he was hurting himself again? Is that why he isn't talking to him at school?

Evan had found out about Connor's self harming a week ago. They were at Connor's house.

    They were on their phones, enjoying the silence and each other's company. Evan was curled up on the side of the couch, leaning up against the arm and facing Connor. Connor was leaning against the other arm, legs stretched out and feet crossed.

Evan was scrolling through his Instagram. He wasn't following a lot of accounts, but the accounts he were following were mostly nature and some cooking accounts.

Connor set his phone down and sat up, stretching his arms. His sleeve scrunched up, revealing some scars.

Evan couldn't help but stare. He knew he shouldn't be looking, but he just couldn't look away.

Connor placed his hands in front of him, going back to his phone. He glanced up at Evan. "What?" he asked. He looked down at his wrists. He quickly pulled down his sleeves.

They stared at each other, worry on Evan's face and horror on Connor's.

"C-Connor," Evan whispered. He scooted over to his friend, placing a hand on his wrist.

Connor jerked it back, holding it to his chest. "Don't."

Evan grabbed his hand and pulled it down. "Why?" He stared at Connor's hands.

"Why?" Connor repeated. "Because my life is shit. Because my father is a homophobic piece of shit. Because my mom tries to help me when she agrees with Larry saying I don't need therapy. Because my own sister hates me. Don't you dare pull any of that 'it gets better' bullshit because it doesn't."

Connor was close to tears. He's never cried in front of anyone in ten years and he sure as hell wasn't going to start here.

He blinked the tears away and looks down at his lap, not wanting to meet Evan's gaze.

Evan sighs and retracts his hand. "I won't say any of that," he said. "Just know that if you ever want to talk, and I mean ever, I'm here. And I'm serious when I mean ever, you could call me at three in the morning and I'd still talk."

Connor nodded, looking up. When their eyes met, Evan pulled Connor into a hug.

Evan shook his head, clearing his mind of the memory.

He was outside the school now. He lost Connor. Did he drive home? No, he would've heard his car start up and see it drive away.

He spotted Connor leaning against the school's sign, smoking.

"Connor!" he shouted.

Connor's head snapped over to Evan. They locked eyes. They continued to stare for a full minute before Connor dropped the cigarette and crushed it with his heel, quickly walking off.

Evan internally groaned and jogged to him.

"Connor!"

Connor ignored him, walking even faster. He barely acknowledged the sound of feet hitting concrete.

"Connor!" Evan repeated, louder this time. "I need to talk to you!"

Evan's hand wrapped around Connor's wrist, pulling him back.

"What Hansen?" Connor asked, pulling out of Evan's grip. "What is so important that you decide to chase me down a fucking sidewalk?"

Evan stepped back. "Why. . . Why are you ignoring me?"