The Ride Home (Part One)

Stella was singing along to the Rihanna song that blared through the speakers as she drove down the dark road. They were still over four hours away from the cabin and she could tell it was going to be a long and awkward ride. She was still a bit shaken up from the kidnapping and was trying her best to put it in the back of her mind, but it was an impossible task with one of the victims lying in her backseat bound and gagged.

Vincent was driving in front of her like a bat out of hell and she worried that he would attract the attention of a highway patrol.  She was growing tired of worrying so much, but she knew that was the price she had to pay for staying with him. She wondered what their future would hold after this whole thing with Emily blew over. Would he want to be with her or was she just a pawn to him?

Stella sighed and stuck another cigarette in her mouth, the fifth one she has had in less than half an hour. She could just imagine the disapproval her parents would express if they knew she smoked like a chimney.

The sound of groaning tore her away from her thoughts. Her blue eyes shifted to the rear view mirror and she saw Emily looking around the car with a panicked look.  She thought about saying something to her, but instead she watched Emily with morbid curiosity as she struggled to free herself from the tape that bound her.  She tried twisting and pulling her wrists to no avail and Stella shook her head.

Vincent was unnaturally experienced in tying people up.  The nurse could not help but wonder how much money he had spent on duct tape in his life.  He could probably have his own commercial. 

This kidnapping was sponsored in part by the good folks at the duct tape factory. Never leave home without it. 

The thought made her giggle and she could see the glare on Emily's face.  "Oh, I'm not laughing at you, honey."  Stella said, "I was just thinking of something funny."

Emily groaned and shifted her eyes towards the tape on her mouth, silently pleading with her to remove it.

Stella shook her head. "Sorry, love. Vincent told me to leave you gagged until we got home.  You should be thankful he didn't blindfold you as well."

Emily rolled her eyes and Stella shrugged her shoulders, returning her attention to the road ahead.  "God, I knew you would be a total cunt."  She muttered.  Her eyes widened and she looked back at Emily.  "Oh, God.  Please don't tell Vincent I said that!"

She knew Vincent would wring her neck if she said anything remotely rude to his precious Emily. She switched off the radio and decided to try and be more understanding. "I know you're afraid, but you don't need to be. Vincent would never hurt you or your daughter."

Emily's eyes widened and she mumbled something through the tape.

"Relax, your daughter is perfectly safe." Stella assured her, "Vincent was so glad to finally meet her. She is a very beautiful little girl."

Emily stared at her with tears swelling in her eyes and Stella felt a twinge of guilt. She sighed and turned her head back. "Look, I promised Vincent I would leave you gagged but if you promise not to tell him I'll take it off for a few minutes so we can talk."

Emily nodded her head so she reached back and slowly pulled the tape off. "Where's my daughter?" Emily asked, inhaling sharply.

"She's riding with Vincent just up ahead."

"What about James? What did he do to James!?"

"Your husband is fine. He put up a bit of a struggle so we had to tie him up, but I assure you he is very much alive."

Emily's shoulders fell with a sigh and she propped herself up in the seat. She looked out the window to see if there were any other cars around besides Vincent's. She could see the faint glare of headlights coming towards them in the other lane, but she knew there was no chance of them seeing her. Even if she could alert them she wouldn't because of her daughter and friend. She would just have to bide her time and pray that the police would find them.

She returned her attention to Stella. "Why are you helping him?"

Stella looked back at her and answered, "He helped me when I needed it, so I had to return the favor."

"Do you have feelings for him?" Emily asked, clearly taking the nurse off guard.

Stella cringed in her seat as she considered her answer. She knew she had some sort of feelings for him, but as to what kind she was still unsure. Was it love or was it obligation?

Either way, she didn't feel comfortable discussing it. She switched the radio back on and changed the subject. "We still have a couple of hours before we get home. I hope the weather stays clear the rest of the way."

Emily noticed the question dodge, but decided not to press her. She was already certain of the answer anyway. Vincent was a very handsome and manipulative guy. She knew that he would have no trouble making a young girl like Stella melt in the palm of his hand. She looked at the nurse for a moment and restrained the urge to smile as an idea popped into her head. If she could befriend her maybe she could talk her into helping her instead of him. It was a long shot but she knew it was her only chance.

"How long have you been a nurse?" Emily asked, hoping to initiate a friendly conversation.

"This is my first year."

"How do you like it so far?"

Stella glanced back at her and frowned. "Why do you care?"

"I'm just curious. When I was a kid I wanted to be a nurse myself-"

"Cut the crap, Emily." Stella snapped, "I know what you're up to and you may as well save your breath."

"What are you talking ab-"

"You think if you start talking to me and getting to know me that I'll feel sorry for you and let you go."

"That's not what I was trying to-"

"Save it." Stella interrupted, holding her hand in the air. "I may be younger than you but I'm not stupid."

Emily took a deep breath, trying to remain calm. "I don't think you're stupid. I only wanted to talk, that's all."

"Well, I'm done talking." Stella said, "I already told you what you wanted to know about your family. We really have nothing else to discuss."

"But-"

Before she could finish speaking Stella slammed her foot on to the break petal.  Emily's head snapped back into the seat and her heart was pounding in her chest. 

Stella turned around and glared at her. "I told you I'm done talking and if you don't shut the hell up I'll put the tape back on!" 

Emily's eyes widened at the change of tone in Stella's once timid voice.  She started to apologize but the look in her eyes startled her into complete silence.  There was something evil behind them. 

Stella blinked and shook her head, then turned her attention back to the road.  She mumbled inaudibly under her breath as she put the car back in drive.  Five minutes of heavy silence passed until she noticed Vincent pulling to the side of the road.  She pulled over behind him and watched as he climbed out of the car and started walking over to them.  He pulled the door open and looked at her with a frown on his face.  "We have a problem."