Chapter Three

Emery

I was wondering the coven, bored and looking for someone to play with when the front door slammed and a ferocious looking Casper stormed toward me. Without saying a word he caught my hand and pulled me behind him up the stairs and into my room.

My back hit the wall beside the door and I barely managed to stop the back of my head smacking into the plaster. My wrists were held above my head by one of Casper's meaty hands as his body came flush with mine. I groaned and thrust my hips into him seeking friction on my dick. I was so turned on by this display of domination and I had wanted Casper for as long as I'd known him.

He buried his face in my neck and I braced for his orgasmic bite, but it didn't come. He stayed there unmoving and panting against my skin. It took me a few moments to register that he was shaking uncontrollably. "Casper?" I said breaking the silence. He let me go and silently stormed out of my room.

What had just happened? I stayed frozen leaning against the wall trying to get my body back under control. My heart thumped when there was an unexpected knocking on my door. I really needed to calm the hell down.

I opened he door. "Yes?" I asked Harm, the vampire standing on the other side.

"Xavier asked me to come and get you." 

I raised a brow at Harm's no nonsense tone. He hadn't used it on me before, even when we were in bed together. "What does he want?" I sighed and closed the door behind me when I stepped out into the hallway.

"Follow me." It didn't escape my attention that Harm hadn't answered my question. This made the hair on the back of my neck stand on end. Something wasn't right here. I cautiously followed him through the house until we stood outside a door  I'd never seen before. This was a part of the house that I'd been told not to explore. 

Harm took a cell phone out of his pocket and quickly tapped away at the screen. A few minutes later the door opened and a gorgeous man stood before us. He was tall with dark hair and pretty brown eyes. From what I could see of his body through the slacks and shirt he was wearing, he had a smoking hot body. He was toned, not ripped with muscle but there was definite definition beneath his shirt. "Well hi there." I licked my lips and openly perused his body with my eyes. My interest would be obvious to him.

"Hello Emery. My name is David, Xavier asked me to speak with you. Please take a seat." He stepped back from the door and for the first time I noticed that he was standing in an office. What was going on?

I looked back at Harm but he was nowhere to be seen. the jerk had left me here. I stepped into the office and took a seat in front of the desk with my legs crossed. "What's going on?"

I yelled out in surprise when David pulled me from the seat and tugged me against him. "Mate," he growled and tried to lick my neck.

"Whoa there big guy!" I pushed against his chest until he looked at me with confusion in his eyes. "I'm not your mate."

"Yes you are!" He nuzzled the side of my face and growled. "I can smell it on you. Your blood is calling to me."

"The only thing calling to you is a padded cell in the nut house. I'm not your mate, I'd know if I was." I finally extracted myself from his grasp and put the entire length of the room between us. "Are you crazy? Do I need to call Xavier down here to kick your ass back into reality? You're hot but I've never wanted to fuck a crazy person, sorry." I turned to make my escape but the crazy bastard was quick and slammed a hand against the wood stopping me from opening the door.

"I'm not crazy, I don't know why..." he trailed off before letting out a curse. "That fucking liquid! The hunter's camouflage liquid was spilled on me, that's why you can't scent that I'm your mate." David ran an agitated hand through his silky looking hair. 

I turned and leaned my back against the door crossing my arms over my chest. "Uh huh," the sound came out of my mouth sounding sarcastic. "Does that line normally work for you?"

"It's not a line, it's the truth. Smell me! Do you smell anything at all from me?"

I watched him with narrowed eyes as I leaned closer to him and inhaled deeply. I could smell the cleaning products that had been used to tidy the office recently, ink from the uncapped pen on the desk and the fragrance of a purple flower that sat in a pot to one side of the room but that was all that I could smell. I was puzzled by his lack of scent. Was he telling the truth about that liquid? Even if he was it didn't mean that he was being truthful about us being mates. "I can't smell you," I confessed.

The vampire smiled and reached out for me but I quickly evaded him. "What's wrong?" He asked me.

"Nothing. I think I better go back to my room. I - uh - I need to think." I made my successful escape this time and didn't stop running until I reached my room. 

I'd left my pack to go in search of my mate and if the man downstairs could be believed, I'd found him. But wouldn't I know my mate when I found them? Even if their scent wasn't there wouldn't I feel some connection to them, something that would tell me who they were to me? I felt attracted to the man but I'd been attracted to others before him and I wasn't mated to them. If he was lying I needed to find out why, what was his reason for it?