Chapter 7

Maria's eyes went slightly wide at his arrival, but being a well-mannered hostess she quickly adjusted her expression into a polite smile and approached the big ornate wooden double doors.

"Lucas Hoult. Please come in"

"Thank you, Mrs Holmes. These are for you." Lucas politely held out the bouquet of lilies for Maria. He looked at Charlotte, standing with her hands folded, in a corner witnessing the entire scene with barely concealed apprehension.

Charlotte was still standing in the corner in no mood for the social niceties. She was still trying to comprehend why he would come to her house all of a sudden, looking all dapper and acting all gentlemanly.

He wasn't so much of a gentleman when he had yelled obscenities at her during a row they had had; the last and the worst, which had ended their two-year relationship. He had called her a cheat. "I'd rather die than be with you, you lying piece of scum." His drink induced voice, the acrid smell of his breath and the broken china was still fresh in her mind as if it were yesterday.

His father's adultery had given her mother a stroke and him a sense of deep mistrust and made him extremely possessive and paranoid. Charlotte had been at the receiving end of his paranoia. She put up with his overbearing attitude for a whole month before her self-control snapped.

He had tried apologising to her but in vain. For her, that argument was the last straw. That was the last time she saw him in Hampstead- after which he reportedly went to Bath to his ailing mother- until today.

"Can I have a word with you Lucas?" Charlotte managed to speak as politely as possible. Lucas could sense the animosity and bitterness in her polite request. He sighed. Perhaps this was going to be more difficult than he thought.

*********

"Why are you here Lucas?"

Charlotte's deadpan voice, her cool impassive tone and her dismissive manner were all an indication of her complete detachment from him and his memories. It meant that his arrival did not affect her in any way whatsoever. 

But he knew better. She went out of her way and called him Lucas instead of Luke. She was trying very hard to sound matter-of-fact; a little too hard. Which meant that she still harboured some feelings for him, whether she knew it or not- or so he thought.Her eyes betrayed her otherwise inscrutable expression. They held pain, regret and maybe, just maybe, a little bit of nostalgia.

"We're not getting any younger here Lucas" she said irritably. She could not put on the facade of not caring, forever. He just smiled.

"I'm here to win you back Lottie" he finally said looking straight into her eyes.

Charlotte's eyes widened and her nose flared. She was angry.

"How dare you! You accuse me of cheating on you, you call me nasty names, you chuck China at me in an attempt to break my head and then if after 3 years you just mosey along in my house expecting me to come running into your waiting arms, then you are sadly mistaken, Mister!" She was now breathing hard, her chest heaving.

Before he could say anything she spoke- a little more calmly than her previous outburst: "I am engaged to be married, Lucas."

There was a pregnant pause. Lucas hesitated whether or not to tell Charlotte about the post.

"I don't care. I love you. I know you still love me. If I can die for you, I can also kill for you Charlotte."

Charlotte shuddered. His statement was more than just a tall claim.There was a warning edge to his voice which Charlotte found hard to ignore.

"I'll see you very soon Lottie. I've missed you" he said softly, kissing her cheek. She was rooted to the spot, as she saw his retreating back, his words playing in her head. What was he up to?