The lights

When I was young, I used to sleep in my mothers bed a lot because of the nightmares I frequently had as a kid. I could always find peace under the covers of my mother's bed, but now I realized that the actual comfort came from the lights. Though still foggy in my memory, there had always been two lights somewhere near the ceiling in my mom's bedroom. I never thought anything of them, at least nothing bad of course. They were comforting, soothing, warm. I began depending on these lights, so much that when they didn't show (on rare occasions) I couldn't help but feel distraught, and never got a good nights sleep. I never investigated the lights, perhaps if I had I wouldn't be in the situation I am now. Eventually I got older and stopped sleeping in my moms room. The nightmares stopped and I relevantly forgot about the lights, until last night. Stumbling into bed after midnight, after a long night of studies, I couldn't wait to just hit the bed and sleep. I didn't get much after all. Tormented by visions I hadn't had in a very long time I was paralyzed and drenched in sweat when I woke up. Somewhat relieved to be in my world again, I was confronted with a fond memory brought up through a familiar feeling. It took a few moments to notice two solid lights in the corner of my room, near my ceiling then as my eyes began to adjust to the darkness adrenaline pumped through mess I gripped the side of my bed. As my eyes adjusted, I noticed something I hadn't through foggy memories. They weren't lights. They were glowing red eyes. I began to wonder if it was another part of the nightmare. It had to be. Deep down I knew it wasn't, it was just all too real. Through lost hope and the fear of the unknowns grabbed the closest thing I could, which happened to be a birthday present my mom gave me, a snow globe from our Denver ski trip. Playing baseball at school I developed a pretty efficient throwing arm launching it across the room with my pitching arm the eyes went dark followed by a loud thud on the ground at the foot of my bed.turning on the lights left a pang of guilt in my stomach, why was that so easy? Seeing the creature up close knowing it had been around here for so long sent bile to my throat. It's limbs were half as thick as a humans and where it's skin should be was a substance unknown to me, dark and leathery but looked as though you could stick your hand straight through it. Recently punctured with shards of glass. What happened next was what led me to believe the theory that I came up with, as soon as I turned on the lights was true. This creature wasn't my enemy. Nor was it a neutral visitor. That's when it began. The trembling creaks on the stairs, windows smashing, and worse than anything the grotesque shrieks and howls. I knew that what I had done tonight was probably the worst, and the last, mistake of my life. Somewhere down the hall my sister screamed. The creature, the one that I had just killed, had been my protection.

Hey! You there... thanks. It will get better I promise!!!