2

The guys entered the gym and found a majority of the team already there stretching. Bokuto, the captain and ace of the Fukurodani volleyball team, was the one who immediately started practice. Even if he was just a 2nd year, he was a strong leader on the team.

While the first years practiced receiving and diving, some 2nd years started a 3 on 3 scrimmage. Washio, Bokuto, and Komi, vs. Akaashi, Sarukui, and Konoha. Bokuto served the ball over only to be received by Sarukui.

"Akaashi!" Konoha called out asking for a set. Akaashi set it up high and Konoha slammed it over the net, but it didn't get passed Komi. Washio bumped it up to Bokuto who hit it straight and scored.

"Akaashi, you didn't really try just now, did you?" Konoha remarked.

"How could he! He doesn't want to go against, 'Bokuto-san~'" Sarukui said teasingly. Akaashi faintly blushed while everyone laughed.

"Not true at all, you just suck at hitting Konoha." Bokuto laughed. Konoha was about to strangle him, but the clock hit 7 pm and practice was officially over. As they went to their bags and drank water, Bokuto overheard some 2nd years talking about an upcoming volleyball game.

"Nekoma high is pretty good, no?"

"Only until just recently, there's apparently some new guy who's killing it."

"I heard he's like 187 centimeters tall!"

"No way, he's taller that Bokuto-senpai!" Bokuto was eavesdropping the whole time and couldn't help but glare at them.

"Jeez Bokuto are you trying to scare them? Come on let's go" Komi said.

"Oh sorry, you guys can go on without me, I gotta go somewhere."

_________________________________________________________

Bokuto arrived at a hospital and was greeted by the lady at the front desk.

"Good evening Bokuto!" she smiled.

"Good evening Ms. Nakamura," he waved as he walked passed and went to the elevator. It was slowly closing until a man held it open for him.

"Thanks,"

"No problem Bokuto" the doctor nodded. He was greeted by even more nurses and some patients until he finally reached room 212.

"Hey mom," Bokuto said happily as he sat on a chair next to Kotoko's hospital bed.

"Oh wow I didn't know you liked going for the androgynous look" he laughed. She rolled her eyes in response.

"It's taken a while for my hair to grow back after chemo, but I think a pixie cut looks good on me, no?" she smiled.

"But anyway, Koutarou, don't you have homework? It's already 7:30"

"I know, I know, but I had to visit today because I wasn't here yesterday. I'm sorry for being selfish yesterday, I was hanging out with Terushima-"

"Koutarou," Kotoko started, "You don't have to worry about me, you should be doing normal teenage stuff all the time!" she sighed.

"Anyway, how's Akaashi? And Kyoko?" she asked.

"Akaashi's been acting a little weird but he's fine I guess. Aunt Kyoko...I wish she'd find a boyfriend already, she seems lonely." Kotoko laughed and started coughing.

"You should get going now sweetheart, you have a game tomorrow,"

"I love you" Bokuto said as he gave her a hug.

"I love you too Kou"

_________________________________________________________

When Bokuto was young, his dad always had medical problems. Kotoko said that despite everyone saying his heart was weak, she thought he had the biggest heart and was the most caring person you'd ever meet. He sadly died of a heart complication when Bokuto was 4. It was hard for Kotoko, she had no other family except for her sister who was all the way on the other side of the world. There was a time where she'd managed her stress by smoking. However, this turned into a bad habit that Terumi helped her with and eventually, her addiction was behind her. Sadly though, just a little over a year ago, Kotoko was diagnosed with lung cancer.

Bokuto arrived at his house and walked into the kitchen.

"Sup Aunt Kyoko"

"Hey Bokuto, foods on the table, I'm heading out for work right now, I'll be at your game tomorrow, love you bye!" she said as she rushed out the door.

"Bye Aunt Kyoko" he sighed but she was already out the door.

Kyoko was Kotoko's younger sister, she was only 24 years old. A couple years back, she was in New York for college getting a degree in fashion design. After she graduated, she traveled to Japan to take care of Bokuto. While she tried to find a modeling job, she worked part time at a restaurant on some days, and other days she had a night shift as a bartender.

Bokuto ate, studied a little, a drifted to sleep, excited for his game tomorrow. He wondered who the new mysterious player was...

_________________________________________________________

this story will be continued! thanks to all that continue to support me during my writing hiatus, feel free to leave me any messages :)
-orange