Part 1

Pushing open the windows, I looked out at my little darlings who were flying in the air around the castle.

"Hello, my little cherubs."

There were three little darlings, baby dragons that were learning to fly. Becoming accustomed to their wings wasn't the only issue that these beautiful babies had to contend with. Burnt backsides caused by their sibling wasn't fun. I'd a few singed hairs over the past few days.

I was yet to name them, but it would be easy because they were all different in their own special way. One approached, I was considering calling him Sapphire because of the beautiful iridescent blue scales. I knew he was a devilish young lad and was larger than the other two. Male dragons were always larger.

As for the other two sweet babies, they were pretty little ladies. One was a green colouring, the other red. Jade and Ruby, of course. They weren't iridescent like Sapphire because it was the males that did the courting. They were the prettiest to make the swooning ladies flock to them.

"My darling Sapphire, where is your mother this fine morning?"

He sneezed and shot a fireball at the castle, I squeaked and jumped away from the window. Flames hit the edge of the window, igniting the curtain.

"Oh, you devil," I said, thoroughly amused.

Ripping the curtain down from the rail, I stomped the fire out. Sapphire was sitting on the window sill, looking at me expectantly. I knew exactly what he wanted. A good scratch under his jaw.

As I scratched that sweet spot, his claws curled with the ecstasy, digging into the bricks. Smoothing my hand over the soft scales, I mindlessly looked out at the dilapidated building that I called home. Sapphire was cooing his purr, a soft and sweet trill that was like music to my ears. I loved a happy dragon.

Hunger gnawed at me, and I began to wonder where his mother was. She was a caring creature, always bringing me things to eat. It had taken a while for us to understand each other. Trial and error, a few missed meals and the occasional rat offered as something ideal, but we got there.

Our beginning was bleak, but today it was wonderful, as it had been for a few years now. I'd been dragged here, kicking and screaming. I was told that the dragon was an enemy and to fear the vile wretch that she was. I was expected to die in this tower. After all, the horrible witch never returned with any food or water. How was I expected to survive?

But the dragon flew past one morning, watching me as I struggled to find a way out of the tiny room. I don't know how she knew, but the blessed creature brought me something to eat. Of course, it was an entire apple tree, shoved through the window but it was the thought that counts.

Sliding my hand over Sapphire's jaw, I felt the rigid curves of his fangs. They didn't frighten me, nothing about these creatures frightened me. Turning Sapphire's head, I made him look at me. Those big, dark eyes looked lost, and I feared the worst.

"Sapphire, where is your mother?"

Because she was never far away from her babies, she was a caring and devoted mother. And, she was always on time with feeding me.

An odd sound was echoing through the stairwell, Sapphire whined and took off. My heart thudded hard as the sound grew louder. I frowned, listening.

Was someone singing?

With a great thud against the wood door, the singing grew louder. It was male, a deep voice that sounded cocky and annoying. I huffed, knowing that this was yet another knight that had come here to try and save me. He was about to become a char-grilled knight.