Sunset and Pirates

Chapter Two: Sunset and Pirates

The day went by without much more talk between me and the Golden. I guess her grandparents lived about twenty miles south, and she had been driving to see a friends when the collector ambushed her. She barely made enough fire to escape, and had been running for the past two days out in the wilderness.

Also, since I'm 'mean' or something, I guess I'm not worth talking to. Which is fair, but I am putting myself out there for her. And I can only read the same lobby magazines. So some talking would be appreciative.

So I basically started talking to her without her responding. Literally, it was like talking to a wall. With my legs crossed, and staring at some German model - this dude was hot - I was rambling on about how difficult it was to freaking convince the Dragon of Tell Rock to give me a piece of cursed gold so I could harness its soul for a scrying glass necromancers used to make on a regular basis.

"--and I said, 'listen, it's just one piece, one piece. That's all I need'. And he said, 'Bro, I can't. This is my good treasure. My top shit'. And it was nice shit. So much gold and silver. Not to mention the rubies! I wanted it all. But alas, I knew the most to gamble for was a gold coin."

"Shut up! You are so annoying." Blas flicked her head at my, fiery hair still unkept, fair skin back to it's normal color. "Why are you talking so much? What did I do? Huh?"

"Er--, would you like to tell a story?"

Blas rounded in her dark wooden chair, eyes burning with literal fire. Somehow maybe that wasn't the correct thing to say. Who knows. I'm not much of a people's person. "You are about to make a deal that decides your fate, and possibly mine. Aren't you afraid? Or able to take it seriously?"

"Uh. Well. Who really cares? My fate is my own. I'll pick and chose how it goes." Didn't what's her face make it clear? None bother to care about me anymore. Minus my few friends. "Plus necromancers aren't remembered very fondly in this present age. And I'd simply fight them if they try to bring you back into it. So like, what's there to lose for me?"

"You'd fight for me?"

What, did I stutter? "That's what I'm doing right now. Collectors are disgusting creatures. I must set aside personal opinions and feelings - and ignore those pointed at me - if I wish to become a hero. Once Talimus enters through that door, I must become a force that can't back down."

Who knows what was going through her head. It seemed like she was having good thoughts. That's good. Can't have an angry girl spread bad things about me, even if it's to this small town.

But whatever she was going to say, was interrupted by the door opening and my new friends walking on in. Talimus kinda reminded me of a man who thinks he gets what he wants. Big mistake.

"Well well, there's my new treasure." He came over, Love right behind. The fireplace was roaring. Kinda like my opinions right now. The warlock sat down in the chair we set up, Love joining him. The table between us could not have been enough space.

"Alright," I said casually. "This is how it's going down."

Love slammed her fist onto the table. "You don't get to speak unless Talimus says so."

"What? Is he paying you extra to tell me that?" I raised a brow. "Bounty hunters aren't known for their........ability to follow orders. You must be desperate."

The witch tightened her fist. No, I don't think money is affecting the situation here. Or maybe I'm wrong. But bounty hunters don't let their bosses be controlling in a 'I'm supreme leader' kind of way. For the most part.