Wrapped in Cotton Wool

Author: onemorefanaccount

Holding (B/N) against your chest, you gently sway side to side. "You're okay," you murmur to the crying boy. You start to rub his back gently in an attempt to calm him down. It didn't take long for the crying to stop, "You want to go see dadda?" you ask.
(B/N)'s face lights up in recognition of the word and he starts to wave an arm around, babbling some form of response that makes you chuckle.
"Okay," you say. "We'll go find dadda."
Walking out of your baby's room, you head out to find your partner. It proved to be an easy task, finding him sitting on the couch in the lounge room on his phone.
Spotting you as you enter the room, his smile grows when he takes in the sight. "Hey," he greets, dropping his phone to the side as he holds an arm out for you to join him.
Cuddling into his side, you hold (B/N) closer to your chest. Ross wraps an arm around your shoulder and shifts slightly so he was facing you.
"Is he okay?" Ross questions, gently kissing (B/N)'s forehead.
You nod, "I think he's just tired, but he seemed a little reluctant to sleep alone."
"Reminds me of someone," Ross jokes.
You roll your eyes, further pressing yourself against his side. "Did you want to hold him?" you offer.
Ross smiles but shakes his head, "He's already starting to fall asleep," he reasons.
You couldn't take your eyes off your baby, "He's so beautiful," you whisper, "can you believe we made something so...incredible?"
His fingers start to stroke your bare arm, "I can," he confirms. "(B/N)'s half of you, so it's impossible for him to be anything but."
The corners of your lips tugging upwards in a shy smile as you rest your head on his shoulder. "You're too much," you murmur, closing your eyes.
Ross' hand comes to a halt, "Are you tired?" he asks gently, moving the hair from your face. You nod in confirmation. "We can reschedule with them," he insists, referring to your friends who were on the way over to your home to meet the newest addition of your family. "They'll understand."
"That's not necessary," you reply. "I'll be fine. If I sleep now, I'll be up all night later and I don't think that's wise," you chuckle.
"But-"
"Ross," you cut him off, "I promise I'm okay."
He kisses the top of your head, "If you're sure."
Muffling a laugh, you nod, "I'm sure. What time are they coming again?" you question, already forgetting despite confirming with Dylan this morning.
"I told them to be here around one, so," he says, glancing at his watch, "anytime now."
"I'll go put (B/N) in the cot," you yawn, "they'll just have to meet him when he wakes up, he needs some sleep."
"You need some sleep," he mutters.
Raising an eyebrow, you look up up him, lifting your head off his shoulder, "What was that?"
"Doesn't matter. I'll go wait by the door and make sure no one rings the bell."
"We really need to get that disconnected," you say, slowly rising to your feet, careful not to disturb your sleeping baby.

It wasn't long until Dylan, Katherine and Miles show up. Ross was quick to inform them (B/N) was sleeping. You greet them all with a hug and thank them for their comments.
"Did you want to go sit outside?" you suggest, leading them out to the back when they all nod.
"How have you been?" Katherine asks, the both of you taking a seat in the chairs in the sun.
"Good," you smile, "I'm exhausted most of the time," you admit, "but it's been good."
"How old is (B/N) now?" she continues, trying to remember.
"Seven months in a few weeks," you laugh, "it's flew by so fast."
The boys join you, pulling out chairs around the table to sit down. Ross takes his seat beside you, placing the baby's monitor on the table in front of you both.
The five of you sat mindlessly chatting of what felt like hours, until small cries surrounded you. Offering your friends an apologetic smile, you start to rise only to be stopped by Ross who was already on his feet, "I'll get him," he says, not leaving you any room to negotiate and already heading into the house.
"Ross seems like a natural so far," Dylan comments, leading you to nod.
"He's so good," you exclaim in relief, a small laugh leaving you. "It's amazing."
Ross returns a few minutes later with a freshly woken and changed baby. The sight of Ross with (B/N) in his arms brings a smile to your face. He had him coddled in his arms as he brought him towards you.
Katherine couldn't contain her awing as she managed to get a look of him. "He's so cute," she murmurs, "the pictures don't do him justice."
"He really is adorable," Miles comments as Ross sits back down, gently turning the baby so his friends.
"Would you like to hold him?" you ask Katherine who was looking at him with wide eyes.
She nods enthusiastically and you turn to Ross who seems reluctant n handing him over. You offer him a reassuring smile and take (B/N) in your arms and gently sit him on Kat's lap.
Her hand immediately move to his back to hold him steady while the other wraps around him gently. (B/N) stares at her with wide eyes and leans forward slightly to grip the hair that had fallen around her shoulder.
He tugs it weakly with both hands and laughs. Katherine's face softens at the sound and coos softly, "Hi (B/N)," she says.
You stand and return to your seat, comfortable with letting Kat hold him without you by her side.
Dylan leans across and pulls a face at the baby earning another giggle to be released.
Squeezing Ross' hand you send him another smile, encouraging him to relax after noticing his tense posture. "He's okay," you whisper quietly.
"I know," he replies, but doesn't seem settled.
"You can hold him up," you suggest, "let him stand on your legs," you tell Katherine. "Just make sure you're holding his weight." She carefully does as you said and holds him under the arms, "Bounce him," you smile.
Kat laughs as (B/N) starts to babble his words, still clenching her hair in his fists.
"Should we head inside?" Ross asks after a moment.
You send him a knowing grin, but nod, tapping his hand before he rises. Ross walks over to Kat to take hold of (B/N) to bring him inside.
Offering Kat an amused grin, you link arms with her, gesturing for Miles and Dylan to follow.
Ross had put (B/N) on the floor in the lounge, surrounded by a few toys, and sat beside him while everyone else spread around the room.
"Did you all want to stay for dinner?" you offer. "I'm planning on ordering take away."
"I'd love to," Katherine answers, taking a seat beside Dylan.
"Same," the boys echo soon after.
Time passes rather quickly and soon you found yourself alone with your two favourite boys. You were lying on the floor with (B/N) in front of you attempting to crawl.
Your eyes drift to Ross who was kneeling right behind you. Moving so you were on your back, you meet his eyes, "You know you can't keep everyone away from him forever," you say softly. "I know you don't want to risk him getting hurt or something...but it's good for him to be around other people."
Ross sighs, "I know," he admits. "I just...the thought of not being there for him or...seeing him in any kind of pain or just not being able to reach him in time-it's frightening."
You rest your hand on the side of his thigh, "I know," you reassure him. "Believe me, I know," you laugh. "But it's important that we don't coddle him all his life, no matter how much I want him to remain a baby forever so I can just hold him forever," you whisper. "He's going to grow and we won't be able to protect him from everything."
"We still have a little time though," he tries to reason.
You nod, shifting your head back to (B/N), "Yeah," you say. "We still have time."