The Mobster's Bride

April 20th 1924

The train ride to Chicago had been a long one and Anna knew that she would collapse as soon as she got to her aunt Rose's house. This morning had been a tiresome one for Anna with her father and the maid's rushing her to wake up so that she could catch her bus at the local train station

Hell, she didn't even get a chance to eat anything for breakfast and now she was paying the price for it because she could feel the normal weak sensation that her body gave her whenever she didn't eat like she was supposed to. As Anna sat there waiting for her Aunt Rose's butler to pick her up, she got tired of feeling miserable and started digging through her black suede purse, trying to see if she had any of those strawberry hard candies that she had stowed away in her purse when her mother had forced her to attend one of those snooty tea parties that her mother so loved to attend.

However, the more that she continued to search, the more that she realized that either she must have already eaten them or her younger sister, Mary. Must have stolen them at some point. Breathing a sigh of annoyance, Anna leaned back against the hardwood seat in the train station and started waiting on her ride. Seconds turned into minutes and minutes turned into hours and Anna started having a feeling that her aunt's butler wasn't coming.

As Anna stood from seat with her purse and went to grab her suitcase, she didn't hear the sound of a set of men's shoes stop directly behind her. With her back still turned to the man, she heard the something that sound like someone clearing their throat behind her. The sound was rough and deep, and she felt curious about who was making that noise, so she turned around.

She was expecting it to be her aunt's normal elderly butler, however, she was shocked to see a young man with brown curly hair standing directly behind her eyeing her as if he was trying to figure something out. Anna figured that the man was a new person that her aunt had hired a couple of days ago. So, she didn't really think much about it. However, as she waited several minutes on the man to speak she decided that she would speak instead. "What took you so long? I've been waiting here for several hours on you to show up and you never came. You'll be expecting a talk from Aunt Rose, when we get back to her house."

Anna waited on the man to say something back to her but instead all she received she utter silence from him. Feeling irritated by the man, Anna walked up to him and stopped right in front of him and stared right at his face. And then said angrily. "Are you going to say something to me or not?"

Still there was no reply from him and she started to turn and walk away from him. But, when she did she felt a warm tight grip, latch around her right wrist. Anna tried to turn and say something to him. But, as she did she felt the man jerk her wrist and pulled her down the hallway of the train station. The tight grip on her wrist burned and hurt as he continued to tug on it. She wanted to scream at him to stop but her conscious was telling her to shut up. So, she did.

Once the man had finally dragged her out of the train station and through the huge crowd of people that were in there, he brought her over to a Chrysler Model B-70. The sun shone brightly against the black paint on the car and Anna knew that her aunt didn't own something like this. The man released his hold of her wrist and opened the door to the backseat of the car and then pointed at Anna to get inside which she did rather quickly.

With her now inside the car, the man shut the back door and the opened the front and got inside, slamming his door closed behind him. Anna watched from her seat as the man start up the car and then started driving through Chicago. She tried several times to get the man to say something to her but instead all she got was more silence.

The car ride was a long one and Anna noticed that she didn't recognize where she was at all. Nowhere, did she see anything that looked remotely similar to the location of her aunt's two-story home at all, and she was starting to get scared. And she started to think that maybe this man wasn't her aunt's butler after all. Fear coursed throughout her body and she could see goosebumps starting to appear on her arms.