Frenzied

fren•zied (ˈfrɛn zid)

Pronounced: [fren-zeed]

adj.

1.      wildly excited or enthusiastic.

2.      violently agitated; frantic; wild.

Synonyms: agitated-beserk-convulsive-corybantic-delirious-distracted-distraught-excited-feverish-frantic-frenetic-furious-hysterical-mad-maniacal-nuts-rabid-wild

   Slamming the dictionary shut, I throw it with convulsing anger across the room. It hits the wall with a hard thunk before dropping with a softer clatter to the floor, it falls onto its back. Closed.

   I sit cross-legged on a remarkably uncomfortable bed in a room. There’s nothing else in here apart from the bed, the dictionary, me and white walls. Four white walls. All the same length, all the same height. How do I know? I just do.

   There’s a single window to my left. But it’s never opened. I can’t really see out of it either. Thin silver strips of wire slide through the pane of glass and a small ripple chips the corner. But it was still solid. Unbreakable.

   With a short sniff, I jump down off the bed and tuck myself into the corner. In between the bed and one of the walls. Then, I pull my legs up to my chest and hug them close.

   My chest hurt as I do. But I ignore the pain and rest my forehead on my knees. I look down into the darkness. My hair spills over my left shoulder. I flick it back.

   I glance down at the tight band that’s wrapped in a coil around my wrist and tug it off. My hand shook slightly. Slightly. I tie my hair back so that it’s out of the way.

   I look at the door. It’s securely locked. You can’t get in without a key. I can’t get out, they won’t give me one. They’ve trapped me in here. They think I’m crazy. They think I’m mad. They think I’m frenzied.