Chapter Two

I tore off at a full sprint running as fast as I could away from the sound of snapping and cracking bones behind me.

I ran along the driveway, concealing myself in the tree line. Ducking down, I used the low growing shrubs and tree branches as cover. Straining my hearing, I listened for noise of approaching wolves. My hearing paled in comparison to theirs, but even a regular human could hear panting or twigs snapping underfoot. All I heard was the wind quietly blowing through the trees though.

If I could get back to the garage, I could grab one of the vehicles and take off. There was no way a pack of werewolves could catch me then. Smiling to myself, I took one last look around, making sure the way was clear and doubled back to the garage. The trucks stood abandon. Shirts and shorts had been randomly tossed across the hoods and thrown all over the gravel driveway.

Creeping up to the black truck, I looked for the keys. Gone. I tried the meat truck, but no keys there either. A howl carried over to me on the wind causing the small hairs on my arm to stand on end. Ducking down behind the meat truck, I searched the woods for movements. Nothing. I sucked in a full breath, leaped up and sprinted for the garage.

Opening the side door, I stepped in, quietly shutting it behind me. Checking the key holder by the door, I found all the keys were gone. I sighed, scratching my head. Apparently, my only option for a vehicle get away was one of the riding mowers. I slumped against the wall as I considered my options.

Since someone had thought to hide the keys, plan A was a bust, time to move onto plan B. I'd have to head back to the den and lock myself inside my bathroom. There were two ways back to the den. The longer one forced me to stay in the tree line, circling the territory and approaching it from the back. Or there was the most direct route—running straight through the field toward the house. I was pacing the garage, weighing my options, when the side door open. I snapped my head up, as Scout stepped in, a look of excitement and awe lighting up his handsome face.

"I never win. I never catch you."

"You haven't caught me yet," I taunted, itching closer to the far wall and away from him.

His smile was big and mischievous. And addictive. I couldn't help but return it. Scout stood a few inches taller than me. His shaggy hair hung down in his eyes. Although not as muscular as the others, he was athletic and strong. "Give me a hug, sis." He opened his arms as he took a couple steps toward me. Dropping my eyes, I feigned submission. As he reached for me, I quickly ducked under his arms and dashed for the door. Jumping across the threshold, I turned back, just in time to see his face fall. I laughed and took off across the field. Screw the long route. I had to make it to the den, ASAP.

I pumped my legs, begging my heart to beat just that little bit faster. As the den grew closer, a feeling of triumph started to wash over me. I was maybe a hundred feet from the porch steps as my level of cockiness rose to an absurd level. Ha. Ha. Those wolves had nothing on me.

It was at that moment that I heard the heavy footfalls of padded feet directly behind me.

Someone nipped at my legs.

Tossing a glance off to my right, I saw a huge black wolf easily keeping pace with me. I looked to my left and an identical black wolf was there. The feeling of triumph faded as quickly as it came. This was how it always ended, me so close to getting away, when they'd pounce. I was beginning to think they did it on purpose.

I was pretty sure the attempt was useless, but I pushed with all I had left sprinting full out. The black wolves slowed to a trot, a moment before I noticed three brown ones coming from my right and left. I swung my head forward and found a huge red wolf.