Chapter 10

"Brother, why is the poison dart not working? The virus should have spread to all Jedi by now!"

"No, Brother. I switched out the dart... if Kenobi survives, then he would come back to 'finish me off'..." he fell into a cackle. "And I shall have my revenge."

"To kill him?"

"Not only that, but also to Turn his...Padawan, Anakin Skywalker...to the Dark Side."

***

"Mandalore is still under Darth Maul's control...we still have to send Jedi to salvage the planet. As a fulfilment to the Duchess' plea to the Order." Obi-Wan spoke at the Council meeting that came a few days after his recovery.

"We cannot spare anyone, Master Kenobi," Mace Windu said, projected as a holocron. "The Outer Rim sieges are running out of resources. They need supplies."

A short silence fell as he racked every part of his brain to think of a solution. "Commander Tano can easily handle a supply run," he said in the end. "While Anakin and I can go to fight Darth Maul on Mandalore."

That made Mace's opinion waver. He stroked his chin, deep in thought. "If you insist..."

"Go, Master Kenobi, you may," Yoda cut in abruptly. "But beware...this mission...hmmm... feel good, it does not. The Dark Side, it is shrouded. Bring the Duchess, do not. It is too dangerous. "

"Yes, Master." He replied.

***

Satine had been waiting for the meeting to be over for so long she had finished all her work already and showered. She wished she could read something, but then Obi-Wan had no books.

Just when she thought she was going to walk over to the archives, the door opened to reveal--Ben.

"What took you so long?"

He didn't answer her question directly. He only sighed and said, "The Council has agreed to send me and Anakin to Mandalore to defeat Darth Maul."

"Well, what about me? Surely I'm coming with you?"

That was when his expression changed, like a boy who was going to be honest to his parents about who broke their favourite plates. "Well...they told me not to bring you."

She was flabbergasted. "But why not? This is my planet!"

He tried to calm her down. "I know, I know...but Master Yoda himself told me it was risky...and I agree. It's safer not to bring you."

"So what? So I could hide in Coruscant like a coward and let you all do my work?" She said, her voice rising. "I'm not a princess! I'm no one's damsel in distress! I have to, and will, show my people that I am really a part of them, and that I'm not afraid to fight with you!" She didn't know why, but this strong sense of nationalism suddenly overcame her--she had been away from her people for far too long. She had to show them that she cared.

And how dare Obi-Wan even tell her what to do? He didn't know how guilty she felt watching people, her people, die under an immensely corrupt rule but do nothing; he didn't even know how big a burden it is to rule a whole planet!