Chapter 23

Ronald Weasley stood on platform nine and three-quarters looking around for his two best friends. The twins were already on the train, they'd rated escaping their mother's rains of kisses on the cheek a greater need than greeting Harry on the platform. As Ron wiped at his cheek, he almost had to agree. But he was too anxious to see his companions, so he'd suffered a parting mother. He'd only talked to Harry and Hermione via owl a few times over the summer, and it seemed like this summer had been the longest he'd gone without seeing either of them. Typically he'd see Harry once at the Burrow, and truth be told he was a little surprised Harry hadn't come to spend the other half of the summer with them. But no matter, they'd all be packing on to the train in short order, the trio once again. And this time, he had some great stories to tell them about his summer! This would make Egypt look like a Hogwarts class trip.

Ginny came up beside him. "Any sign of them?" Her long red hair was twisted, knotted, and laid against the back of her neck, a style common among the witch dragon-keepers who did that to help keep their hair from catching on fire from an unruly dragon. One of the witch dragon-trainers had shown Ginny how to do it.

"Not yet," Ron said. "They better bloody hurry or they'll miss the train."

Ginny stood on tip-toe (it barely brought her to shoulder-height next to her towering brother), and she cried and pointed, "Oh! There they are!"

"Where?" Ron looked around the crowd.

"Right there, silly. They're just saying bye to the Grangers."

Ron followed Ginny's finger and squinted. Then his eyes widened. It was Harry and Hermione, all right, but Ron didn't even recognize them at first. Hermione's hair was longer, past her shoulders, with sun-streaked gold highlights. Her skin was lightly tanned and her body… well, from a distance she actually looked like a girl, even in jeans.

Harry was beside her, and Ron could scarcely believe his eyes. It hardly looked like Harry at all. He was loads taller than when he'd left at end of term. His hair was shorter, though still out of control in the back. Harry, too, sported a tan, and in addition he… well, Ron wasn't one to ogle a bloke's body, but Harry could hardly be called 'scrawny' anymore.

Ron gaped as he watched Hermione's mother kiss and hug Hermione, then do the same to Harry, and while Hermione hugged her dad Harry stood back. Hermione's dad and Harry shook hands, then Ron's two best friends turned and moved to their trolleys.

"Hermione!" Ginny called out and waved. Hermione looked up, spotted Ginny, and waved. Ginny dashed off to meet them halfway and Ron finally snapped out of his stupor and followed at a much cooler brisk walk.

When he reached his friends Hermione and Ginny were hugging. Harry stood casually at the handle bar of his trolley, watching on with a patient smile and devil-may-care stance. Hell, he looked half the part of a ruddy movie star, what with his new tan, and new hair cut, and new frame. At least he still had the glasses. Ron would expect it was a Death Eater who'd downed polyjuice potion if he didn't have the glasses.

Ginny let go of Hermione, whirled to Harry, and she shrieked. "Harry! You're so tall!" She jumped up at him and threw her arms around his neck. Harry bent over in surprise and chuckled, and thank Merlin it was still the same old uncomfortable-bashful Harry chuckle. "Come on, not even close to as tall as Ron."

Ginny moved her arms away from his neck and pinched his arms. Harry pulled back and looked at her, baffled. "Shite, Harry!" Ginny giggled, "someone's been working out."

Harry freed himself from Ginny's grasp with an embarrassed grimace.

"Leave the man alone, Gin," Ron finally found his voice. Mostly because he didn't quite like watching his sister man-handle some boy, even if it was Harry.