The Literature Of Possibility Part II «Oda Sakunosuke»

The sunset over Yokohama always made me sleepy.

Probably because of how warm it felt and soothing as well. Like a warm blanket over a cold day, I can't help but yawn while staring absent-mindedly at the dipping reddish-orange glow.

Dazai and I were parked in a vacant lot that was hidden from plain sight, something I found odd given that the view of the sun over the ocean here was quite an impeccable sight to see. How could no one have noticed this place yet?

"They aren't here, Dazai," I finally say, a chuckle reverberating from the said man by the passenger's seat. I cast a side-glance at the man, frown making its way to my lips at the new bandages that covered his arms and face.

"As usual, your gift is quite amazing, Lily!"

I cringe at the nickname but I make no move to harass him this time. I feel too lazy to do so- probably the effect of the sunset.

"And you only tell us just now? You're even more care-free than the boss himself."

"On the contrary, I'm quite productive if I do say so myself," Dazai tuts at me in a playful reprimand. I roll my eyes and yawned again, this time out of boredom now that it's been confirmed that we were staking out for nothing but air.

"Getting sleepy are we?"

"Shut up. This is your fault, what's the point in making me use my ability with no humans around?"

"How cruel! Aren't I a human?"

"I can't even read you!" I groan for the nth time I needed to remind him that I can't just use my ability on him as easily as he thinks I can.

"But it would be nice now. To read the mind of the Mafia's Demonic Prodigy?" I continue, flashing him a grin to which he reponds with his own dark smile.

"Would you be able to handle it?"

"I probably would. The eyes of a man who wishes to die yet cannot, the empty world has no place for such a lonely heart like yours and yet here you are," I gesture to him, a slight widening of surprise in his eyes at my declaration makes me chuckle inwardly to myself.

"I have long since danced with death, Dazai. It's an endless waltz I find amusing for now but soon I too will grow tired of it."

"Are we being sentimental now? And here you told me we would never get along," Dazai teased and I frowned. "We never will Dazai. Although this world rejects me, I still do not wish to let it kill me. Oda taught me as much."

"Aiyah, and here we see the real you."

"Only for Oda and sometimes you, Dazai. Only for you both," I admit.

"Hmm... I'm flattered. From the way you worded it, do you like Odasaku, Lily?"

The sudden question snaps me from my drowsy state, eyes now narrowing into a glare at the amused look Dazai was giving me. "Where the hell did you get that assumption?"

Dazai merely shrugs while looking at the window, smile never leaving his face. "He's a good man isn't he?"

At this I am caught off-guard. I rarely hear Dazai put people in high regards, so to see that Oda had been approved by Dazai himself- ah, Dazai and Oda are really close friends indeed.

"Yes, he is. He's a very good man. But I don't like him in the way you are implying, Dazai."

"Really now?"

"I don't feel like looking for a relationship in this kind of occupation we have. But, if you were to know who I like, then it'll already be too late for me," I say before relaxing back into the comforts of my seat.

"Heh, such an honorable deed from someone whose hands are stained in dirty blood," Dazai chuckles, the implications of his words making me smile. Such a very perceptive man indeed.

"Well, now you know."

Before Dazai could reply, my entire body stiffens at the familiar and frightening life force that entered my range. The presence approaching us makes my knuckles go white as I gripped the steering wheels of the car tightly.

"Dazai what's-," I tried to choke before Dazai stops me, his dark brown eyes staring at me intently, like the setting sun yet this was a gaze that burned and it easily silenced me.

"We met with Ango. Apparently there is something more about this war with Mimic than what the head's letting on and I intend to find out."

More than what Mori lets on? And they met with Ango? How much did Dazai delve into this... Wait- did it mean that Oda knew about it too?

"This isn't the mission is it?" I hiss angrily at him, realization dawning on me that Dazai had played me. He probably switched the paper before I snatched it from him. What a conniving jerk!

He could see the look of anger on my face, a mischievous smirk making its way to his lips, "You only realized it now? How slow, Lily."

"Don't call me that!" I grabbed him by the collar, the teasing smile never leaving his face. Ugh, he really wants me to rip that smirk off his face.

"Calla Lily. Calla: Faith's Veil," I activate my ability nonetheless after I let him go, ignoring Dazai who by now is obviously rubbing it on me of his triumphant manipulation.

"The ability to pinpoint human life and read through its present memories so long as they are within a certain distance of you. No wonder Mori wanted you far from him when he sent you in that mission."

So even the real mission given to me was a trap to lure me away. This chess match between Mori and Dazai is really hurting my head right now. So this is what Mori meant when he said that given a few years, Dazai might one day take his place as the boss of the Port Mafia.

"How many, who, and what are they talking about?" Dazai instructed me making me click tongue. Talk about demanding.

"About ten, some of whom aren't our men."

"Probably from the Special Ability Department Ango is working for," Dazai concluded making me nod.

"I had a feeling the man was always hiding something. Ango did always tend to stay far from me as possible. I just didn't know how to tell Oda without making him think that I hated the guy when clearly I did," I spat while failing to notice the bitter smile that Dazai gave before masking it again as quickly as he always did.

"Quite perceptive even without the use of your gift," Dazai admitted and I grinned. "Don't belittle me Dazai. I'm just as capable as you when I feel like it."

"What are they saying?" Dazai gives me no room to bask in my glory, a scowl replacing my grin while I tried to concentrate on the interaction within the small boat floating not too far from the parking lot we were in.

"Something about gaining something in exchange for Mimic's destruction or something." Was all I could pick up. When it meant present memories, my gift could only pick up the exact moment of memories. So during conversations, I had to focus more than I usually did due to the quick change in the memory pattern of an individual.

It doesn't help that I can't exactly just aim it at one person. The ability takes in all snippets from within its radius and ten people in a boat is already a chore to read.

"An agreement to destroy Mimic in exchange for- ack I lost it!" I tried to concentrate and groaned in defeat. The muted silence within my territory meant that the boat had gone too far from my range. It was all I could manage and it only brought more questions to me than answers.

"Dazai did you get any of that?" I turned to the strategist himself, my eyes widening in surprise at the look of horror on his face.

Did he somehow manage to piece something together?

"We have to go. We have to find Odasaku," His tone was grave and strangled, making me somehow worry for both him and Oda. How did he even get caught up in this? He was only a lowly member and yet the severity of Dazai's words said otherwise.

I revved the engine of the black car, the screeching of the tires our only sound as we sped away from the parking lot.