Explanation

This story may have been slightly confusing for some of you so I am going to explain what happened in this chapter. If you'd rather experience the book in your own way, you do not need to read this.

***

In this story, Grayson was dreaming everything. You all know how they started YouTube and went on a world tour and won Teen Choice Awards? In this story, none of that happened and Grayson was dreaming it happening.

So, if you're confused, Ethan never really existed in this story. He died in his mother's womb. So, technically Grayson did have a twin brother at one point, but he never actually existed in his real life. He only existed in Grayson's dreams, and Grayson didn't realize it until his last dream with Ethan in it, which is chapter two. Chapter two was all happening in Grayson's dream, as he fell asleep in chapter one.

Ethan died in his story because Ethan's spirit knew that it was time for Grayson to move on and life his real life, not the life that wouldn't happened if Ethan had been a part of it. Ethan jumped off the cliff because the only way to cut their communication off is for Ethan to "die" again. However, he was able to come back for a moment to give Grayson a proper good-bye.

***

The next part of this explanation chapter are quotes from the book and their meanings. If you're not an English scholar, you'll probably find it very boring. Either way, I do suggest that you read through them because they'll help you understand the story better.

You can skip past them if you'd like. The inspiration to this story is at the bottom of the chapter.

***

1) "Both boys knew that once the sun broke the horizon, spreading its beams of light throughout the world, the busy life would come right back."

Explanation: Grayson knows that when he wakes up, the life that he is currently dreaming won't be there until he goes back to sleep.

2) "If he was having a good dream, he'd stay asleep and enjoy being in that world. If he was having a bad dream, he would wake up and it would be gone."

Explanation: This segment was simply foreshadowing that he would probably end up having a bad dream and the whole world he had dreamed up would then be gone.

3) "They [the clouds] were just a silhouette, black against the sky, as if they were a shadow, a shadow from another world."

Explanation: Grayson could tell, even in his dreams, that he is not actually experiencing what was happening in his dreams. He could tell that the clouds were from another world.

4) "He took a deep breath, an uneasy feeling settling in the pit of his stomach."

Explanation: In the story, the tone is calm and peaceful and everything seems to be okay, and out of nowhere, Grayson feels uneasy. This shows that he knows, deep down, that everything that had happened with Ethan was just a dream. He goes on to say: "He wanted to cherish these moments with Ethan." This sentence might've seemed out of place because they're only 17, anyone would think they have plenty of time to create memories with each other. But Grayson seemed to think otherwise; he knew that he had very little time left with his imaginary brother.

5) "Grayson often wondered to himself, did he look exactly like Ethan? Or did he look different?"

Explanation: Once again, Grayson knows, deep down, that he is only experiencing life with Ethan in his dreams. He doesn't really know if he looks like Ethan in the dreams or not.