10 - HIS WINGS

Arael walked into school tired. She hadn't gotten any sleep the past three nights due to her back aching.

It didn't help having stress weighing down her shoulders from incomplete assignments and homework. Cole had been calling her nonstop - she had no idea how he got her phone number - and he wouldn't leave her alone to do her work.

People had gone from glaring at her to pitying her and quite frankly, she preferred them glaring at her. A few days ago they hated her. She didn't want or need their pitty.

"Good morning, little bird",she groaned and hit her head against her locker, hoping to knock herself unconscious to avoid having to talk to him.

"What do you want now, Cole?",she asked in annoyance. Her head throbbed as she lifted it off the lockers to look at him. His happy expression died and was replaced with amusement and worry. Only Cole could do that and pull it off without looking stupid.

"You look terrible",he said making her roll her eyes.

"Really? I thought I looked great with bags big enough to carry your ego under my eyes", she said accusingly.

"No need for the sarcasm, little bird",he said and threw his arm around her shoulders as she closed her locker. If only she wasn't so easily annoyed by him. Most girls wish to have a tall, dark and handsome man with his arm around them. Maybe she was crazy... It would explain why she didn't enjoy his company and just wanted to run away from him. Suddenly she got an idea.

"Hey, Cole",she called. He looked down and smirked at her.

"Yes, my bird?",he asked. She looked up at him and smiled sweetly.

"Would you please go get me that book over there?",she asked and pointed behind her. He nodded and turned giving her the chance she gladly took to run away in the opposite direction to him. Cole turned and saw Arael sprinting down the hall.

"Let the chase begin",he said with a smirk as he started running after her. Arael looked back and screamed in frustration when she saw Cole coming after her.

She pushed her legs faster and people started clearing a path for them to get through.

"When I get you your going to be in so much trouble, little bird",Cole shouted from about ten meters behind her. She laughed at his 'threatening' words.

"Catch me if you can, little bird",she said and grinned as she pushed herself faster. Everything was passing in a blur by then. She was running faster than she had ever run before and she couldn't stop the laugh that escaped her lips.

Cole was amazed at how fast she was. He could run faster but if he went any faster people would start picking up on the fact that he was different. He needed to catch her but he couldn't run faster than he already was. An idea came to mind and he turned down an empty hallway which allowed him to run at full speed. He knew he could be faster if he stopped running and did what he was made for but he knew he couldn't do it there.

Cole turned back into the hallway he was running in before and Arael ran into him.

"Got you",he said and smirked as he threw her over his shoulder. She screamed and hit his back as she thrashed around, trying to get away from him.

"Put me down, Cole",she shouted and hit his back again. He chuckled at her weak attempts to break free.

"Aww, come on, my bird, I'm enjoying the view",he said and she hit him harder. She huffed in frustration as she gave up.

"I hate you",she said and crossed her arms. He laughed and patted the back of her thigh.

"Keep telling yourself that",he said. She grinned as she remembered how her scream affected him in the alley.

"You brought this on yourself",she murmured as he exited the back of the school. Her lips parted as she drew in a deep breath and then released it in the most blood curdling scream she can manage.

Cole dropped to his knees and he dropped her. She rolled away from him, still screaming and what she saw when she looked up made her blood run cold but intrigued her at the same time. Cole's eyes had gone from raven black to gold and he looked deadly and quite intimidating as he looked at her. By then her scream had died down and he was slowly getting up. She reached forward and let her fingers brush over the soft, black feathers in front of her. Cole immediately recoiled from her touch and moved away from her reach and she dropped her hand. He had never let anyone touch his wings before.

"Never touch what isn't yours",he said and pulled back his black wings. He was so deadly yet so beautiful at the same time and that terrified her.

"I'm sorry",she said softly and backed away.

"Too late",he replied but before he could get to her she screamed again. He crumbled to the ground holding his head, pain in his eyes. The pain slowly melted away though and a silent plea filled his eyes. He pulled his black wings in further and moved away from her in a silent surrender.

Her scream died down and she found herself feeling guilty. It wasn't her intention to hurt him... It just happened.

"I'm sorry",she said and took a hesitant step back. He turned away from her and she watched the shining black wings disappear into his back leaving holes torn in the back of his shirt. She felt sad that they were gone but she knew that when he turned back around she had to be gone too. So with her last bit of energy she turned and ran away from him.