The Watcher -Chapter 1- Among Friends and Felines

Georgina moved to Pembroke years prior when she was hired as a social worker. The people were friendly there and the city lacked the frantic pace of a bigger city.  Fifteen years later she is retired and settled in the city. There were not a lot of social activities or amenities but Georgina's creative side filled her days with enjoyable activities. She is a single lady by choice after having spent too many years in really bad relationships. She however does not feel lonely or unfulfilled. Living her golden years on her own terms and schedule suits her just fine. Georgina decides to stay in Pembroke because she has invested in a home and living in a bigger city is out of reach financially. 

Georgina has built some new routines in her life and her cat Steve so they can enjoy the simplicity of everyday life. Steve's favourite activity is sunning himself perched on the windowsill in the living room.  Steve is a special cat in that he appears to understand what Georgina is thinking. A knowing look from Georgina is often all that is needed. Steve also has an uncanny ability to walk into situations that are both mysterious and down right spooky! Georgina has a select number of friends in the city, many of whom a social workers who she worked with before retiring. Nicole the barkeep and the owner of "The Rose and Thistle Pub" is her closest friend.  Georgina and Nicole were work partners in Bishop Jones High School.  They were in a dual role of protection workers and school counsellors. Now they are both retired and living as neighbors.

Nicole retired at a much younger age than Georgina who stayed three years past her 65th birthday. Nicole won the Lotto Max and she is so rich that the sky is the limit for what she can do. Her secret dream has always been to own her own bar and to hire local bands to play in the establishment.  Karaoke is also a favourite pastime for the patrons who hang out in the bar.  There is also a cook who prepares gourmet delights in the kitchen. He is renowned as being the best chef in the county. His name is Fernando and he is tall dark and handsome with a temperamental nature. His culinary skills came from a food preparation program at Algonquin College. Fernando came into the county as a refugee from Syria and he thinks of our Canadian Premier Justin Trudeau as someone he reveres.  Fernando is a bit of a lady killer who is also very easy on the eyes and alas hard on the heart! One of his specialties is Lasagna made with his homemade sauce and fresh pasta.  Nicole's pub is a hit with the students who attend Algonquin College and also the students from the three high schools in the area.  The social workers who work in the Pembroke agency also flock there for lunch and for team meetings where food is included.  Nicole is making a tidy profit from her loyal patrons and she grins with pleasure as she interacts with her clientele.  Nicole knows everybody in the city and in the County of Renfrew and she can rhyme off facts and interesting happenings about families that could make your head spin.

One of Georgina's favourite things to do is to drop in unannounced to " The Rose and Thistle" when the crowds have dwindled away and good conversation with her friend is a possibility.  Georgina also has a big weakness for the lasagna on the menu and the desserts Fernando makes fresh daily makes her grin as her hips increase to the next X Size. Steve the cat also strolls into the establishment behind his owner with his tail high and his whiskers twitching. He too is a big fan of the Lasagna. However, care must be taken with the kind of noodles he consumes, because Steve can get real cranky and moody if what he eats disagrees with him. Steve has sharp claws and has been known to so serious damage to the furniture if he has a belly ache.  Steve likes to climb as high as he can go on the shelving of the bar.  There are lots of interesting places Steve can perch on up high. Nicole calls Steve her furry baby and she tells him that he is a handsome boy.  She then rubs his ears or pats his belly and he scores a treat.    After doing some serious grooming Steve heads off to some high spot to have a nap. Steve is a welcome patron to any of the customers who frequent the pub.  When the patrons are watching a Jays game Steve is seen as the bar mascot and a source of good luck.  Steve opens just one eye every once in awhile to check out who is speaking to him or on which team is winning. He also has an uncanny way of knowing the good guys and gals from the bad. Then he yawns and stretches out his lanky Siamese frame and falls fast asleep.