The Watcher - Chapter 4 - The Figure In The Light

Georgina sat on her couch with her IPad surfing the web trying to get some understanding about the weird things happening next door in her friend Nicole's dwelling. In her working years as a social worker she dealt with issues in the real word with real people with complex social issues. She thought to herself that things could get weird dealing with people's issues at times but this was beyond what she was use to dealing with. Georgina had been able to think on her feet and she was quite effective dealing with the complexities of people's lives. However dealing with a haunted pub took her job to a whole new level of weird. Then there was her cat Steve who had a nose for trouble and he seemed to know more about what was happening around him than a cat should know. Cats were definitely a thing of mystery and their behaviours at times could get downright spooky. Her cat Steve had a fashion of getting up on his haunches at times and staring into space with fierce intentness seeming to see something that was unobservable to the natural eye of mere humans.

Steve sat basking on a large rock jutting out of the water on the beach. He loved to stare at the brightly coloured boats bobbing in the water where they were moored. A sea gull squawked and swooped down and out towards the red tinged horizon in the distance. Steve's ears twitched as he allowed his eyes to track the birds. He squinted his eyes from the strong rays of the sun and then bent his head and started grooming himself. There was a feeling of harmony and peacefulness in the area. A few moments later a bright light in the garden above caught Steve's attention. He watched the light move throughout Nicole's garden as if scanning the area. In the middle of the light was what appeared to be the figure of a young woman with flowing hair down over her slight frame. Steve continued to watch the light from a distance but did not move towards it. Then without warning the light moved quickly through the garden and flew into the air over Steve's head and off into the sky above him and then disappeared. Only then did Steve head up the embankment towards his neighbours garden. The air felt alive with electricity and the fur on Steve's coat felt like it was standing end. It was then he saw the necklace lying on the ground. It appeared to be a locket the kind that held pictures inside, Steve picked it up in his mouth and entered the pub through the flap to the inside.

Georgina looked up as Steve bounded into the house.  He looked at her with a penetrating gaze and then climbed up to the back of her sofa chair.  "What's up my love asked Georgina?"  "Has something happened that has made you spooked?"  Georgina's third eye zeroed into bright light surrounding the figure of a young woman.  She then tried to soothe Steve by running her fingers through his fur coat saying "there, there!"   Something significant is going on of that I have no doubt Georgina thought aloud. "These things are going to get worse for all of us until we get to the bottom of it". Steve glanced at Georgina and yawned showing a full mouth of incisors. He then stretched into a more comfortable position and fell fast asleep.