01

to my love

◌ chapter 1 ◌

Every single person in the room was dancing with someone else, except me. And you. The boy staring from the other side of the dance floor.

How It Ends by DeVotchKa played softly in the room. (I knew the song because it was on my 'sad' Spotify playlist.) Everybody moved in slow motion, hugging each other close.

My friend was already gone, probably smoking outside somewhere while I was left alone in a house full of teenagers listening to a depressing slow song. You had been watching me for a while now, as we were the only ones alone.

You walked towards me, clearly nervous. You seemed to be fighting whether or not to keep moving my way or quickly swerve to the right to the drink stand and avoid me. But you kept going.

You wore that white hoodie that, later on, I wore to sleep. You know, my mother scolded me for wearing it so much without washing it. When I finally did, it no longer smelled like you.

You brushed your hands on your pants a few times before standing in front of me. You passed a hand through your dark brown locks of hair. You gave me a small awkward smile before speaking.

"Would you like to dance?" You stuttered a bit at the beginning, but I had thought that it was the cutest thing in the whole world. Your voice was deep, husky, sexy.

God.

You extended your big, calloused but soft hand out to me, asking silently, and I took it. You pulled me up from my seat, and brought me to the dance floor. We weaved through the crowd before finding a small space for us.

I remember looking up at your gorgeous brown eyes and seeing you gaze at me like I was the only one in the room. I didn't even know your name back then, but I had already fallen a little bit in love with you.

Being the introvert that I was, and am, this whole situation was stressing me out, not gonna lie. Never in my life had I imagined that I'd be dancing with a curly-headed stranger that night.

When you put your hands on my sides and your palms moved to my rib cage, your touch was all I could think about. Your hands were warm. Your hands held me like I was made of porcelain. Your hands were on me.

And it was amazing.

I wrapped my arms around your neck hesitantly, my wrists on your shoulders. You were so tall. We swayed to the soft rhythm and we moved a tiny bit closer to each other without realizing.

"How is a pretty girl like you alone here tonight?" you asked. I was surprised by your question, and the compliment woven into it. I shrugged, brushing it off. You smiled a bit, and my heart fluttered.

"I didn't know anyone here except my friend, but she left," I explained quickly. I blabber when I'm nervous. You used to think it was cute. "What about you?" I questioned quietly.

"I don't know these people, either. My friend's probably sucking some girl's face in some corner," you responded, irritated, your eyes moving to one of the doors. You brushed it off quickly. "Besides, this party sort of sucks." You chuckled, a deep sound that made my insides warm.

"Yeah," I agreed, laughing quietly. And honestly, quite awkwardly. You smiled again, and the sight made me swoon. It still does.

I've never been a very bold person. You know that. I used to be reserved, quiet, closed. Saying the next four words had been a huge step for me. I think it surprised me more than it surprised you.

"Wanna get out of here?" I sucked in a breath. Your face was still for half a beat, before a grin broke out. I had never been more relieved in my life.

"Sure," you said, and your arms dropped from me. I felt cold, but adrenaline pumped in my veins. We sneaked out of the crowd and walked out.

I didn't realize how hot it was in the house until we stepped into the cold air. I shuddered and you noticed, but I tried to hide it. I was only in a off-the-shoulder flowy light lavender/gray dress: of course I'd be cold.

Your legs were long, and your strides were the same. We walked half a block from the party and sat down on the sidewalk. We were less than a foot away from eachother.

"So, I don't even know your name," you spoke. You had a hot as fuck smirk on your pink lips. Made me go crazy.

"Adelina," I said shyly. Why was I telling a stranger my name again? Remind me.

"That's beautiful."

I blushed and my face felt hot. You smiled again, and your eyes crinkled a bit. Why did you smile so much?

"I'm serious," you continued. "It's unique." I believed you even though it was a common name, I thought at the time. I remember looking at my feet to avoid your hot gaze that was drilling into the side of my face. Just as I was about to speak, a car screeched to a stop right in front of us on the street. It was my friend. She told me to get into the car, or she'd leave without me.

I remember seeing a little bit of sadness in your eyes. But then you smiled, and it was gone.

"I'll see you around, Adelina." You uttered my name like it was some kind of prayer or promise. And just as we rolled out, I realized I had never asked for yours.

◌◌◌

give this a vote or comment if you think it deserves it (: