Chapter 40

"Baby, what was a dream?" Don asked confused. "Did you dream when you passed out?"

Meryl shook her head as she squeezed his hands. "No, the big awful fight. Me going to the hospital the day of your party. The kids not letting you near me. The divorce papers and letter. The bridge. It's all a dream."

"Sweetheart, you must be confused because of your episode." Don said with a kiss to her cheek. "Unfortunately it happened; but it is NEVER happening again."

Meryl sighed at his anguish. "Don, we dreamed the same thing. The kids had no idea what I was talking about. They said I haven't been to the hospital since Indianapolis. Louisa reminded me we had your party. Give me your phone."

"What?" Don asked thinking she had really lost it.

"Give me your phone; mine is at home." She said as Don did as she instructed. She quickly unlocked it and went to his pictures. "Look, your party and The Iron Lady Premiere. How could that have happened if we weren't talking and separated? Sweetheart, it was a dream."

Tears came to Don's eyes when he realized it was a dream. "Oh, thank God. Knowing I sent you to the hospital and you could have died because of my stupidity was more than I could take."

"It didn't happen, Don Man." Meryl said with a kiss to his hands. "It was an awful dream; but I think it's kind of neat."

Don looked at her confused. "What is?"

"That we're so connected we dreamed the same thing." Meryl finally smiled even though she was feeling like shit.

Don smoothed her hair back and kissed her forehead. "Me too. Even if you didn't have an episode in real life since Thanksgiving; that is still several in the past few months. We are NOT leaving this hospital until we know why. I am going to be right there with you."

"I know." Meryl smiled. "Baby, relax. It was a tense week leading up to your party but we really are okay."

***

The morning after getting back from DC Meryl and Don were making breakfast for the kids while Meryl was also trying to secretly field calls about Don's surprise party. She meant it when she said she wanted it done up big. It had been a hard year for him, he finally had the father he deserved, and she couldn't wait to celebrate him. Her cell phone rang and Don reached for it causing her to panic. "Don, that's my phone!"

"I was just going to get it for you." Don said surprised be her reaction.

Meryl huffed at him. "It's my phone and I need some privacy."

"Oh." Don was really caught off guard. "Okay."

Meryl quickly took the phone and ran into another room. He couldn't help but follow her. "Hey, thanks for getting back to me. It's becoming harder and harder to hide this from Don. I know, I can't wait until this weekend either. It's been too long since we've done something like this. Now, I just can't let Don find out."

Don's heart sunk. No, he was misunderstanding. He only heard part of her conversation. It couldn't be what it sounded and looked like. This was Meryl. His Meryl. His wife of 33 years. Things lately had been better than ever. She wouldn't cheat on him. He had recently accused her of that and it almost ruined their marriage; he couldn't allow himself to go there.

***

"Mom is looking hot." Grace was telling Louisa as they were in her room looking at pictures from the weekend.

Louisa giggled. "There are all these articles about how she's the most fuckable actress over 50. All the men are swooning over her."

"That's gross." Grace shook her head. Not knowing their father had walked by the door and was listening. "Do you think she and Dad will be okay? I mean with all these articles saying she is out of his league."